Author Topic: CA20 Automatic Corsair - Worth doing up?  (Read 2513 times)

Offline 573LF

• antrx.com junior member
CA20 Automatic Corsair - Worth doing up?
« on: Apr 21, 2011, 05:44AM »
Hi, I mainly stay in the U13 import specific regions, however today my cousin purchased a corsair for 400 bucks, roadworthy and with 6 months rego - not too shabby, i reckon.

Of course the first things that sprang to mind were upgrade options, but I have no idea about these cars, even though there has always been an interest since the days when I saw the superhatches being shipped to Japan, badged as 'Nissan Aussies' - My father worked at the Nissan factory in Westall.

Anyway, introductions aside, there's a lot of info in this forum to go through to find certain info, so I hope it is not inappropriate that I start a new thread under this topic - there's only so much active searching one can do...

So... the first curiosity relates to engine mounts. My first few cars were VW Passats and it didn't take too long to find out that all liquid-cooled inline fours (spanning a number of decades) made by vw shared the same engine mount layouts and were hence easy swaps, provided that sufficient bay space was available. I have no idea about nissans, in this regard.

It would be interesting to know what engine swaps a U12 fan would consider if a Corsair landed on their lap. Or is this CA20/Auto/Corsair combo doomed from the start? I've gathered that bolting the top half of the CA18DET is possible, yet a bit of a hassle, with people recommending to go straight for an SR20XXX swap instead. Not sure how the engine mounts line-up in this situation either. I'm also guessing that there is probably provision for a KA24 (mount-wise), given that these cars were released with this engine too. These are the three main options that spring to mind, however any other ideas also will be greatly appreciated.

Secondly, I was wondering how interchangeable the Corsair and Pintara panels are. For instance, how hard would it be to get a Corsair to look more like a TRX? The difference in design at the front of the car is quite noticeable and I guess making the Corsair look identical to a TRX would involve replacing the indicators and fenders at the very least. If this operation, applied to the whole vehicle, became very expensive, I'd probably examine just going for the TRX body kit while retaining the car's 'Corsair-ness'. Still, I have no idea whether this 'easier way around' exposes one to a number of other headaches.

So, a performing engine and a bit of an external makeover are the main interests here, however it would be great to know of any other 'tried n true' enhancements that have proven to be quite simple yet effective, for instance in the handling department - something that would assist in harnessing and utilising the extra ponies of the new engine arrangements.

There is no dollar figure for the budget; the 'hotting up' (if deemed worth it) will be performed in baby steps. The engine side of things will probably cause the most downtime, and the main guidelines for this is that there is as little custom fabrication as possible, with direct bolt-in swaps being the ideal... however, a bunch of extra hp for a tiny bit of extra mucking around might be a worthwhile compromise.

If the 'getting it to look like a TRX' bit proves troublesome, this too will be canned in favour of a corsair sleeper, with the 'cosmetic' budget being re-allocated into the 'brakes and suspension' account. Value is more important than outright 'cream of the crop'-ness in all aspects of this project; after all, we are dealing with a $400/CA20/Auto/Corsair here.

In short, I would love to know what other forum members would do in this situation. Just run the car into the ground? or invest a certain amount into the fun side of things? If the latter, how much would you draw the line at, budget-wise and what areas would you focus on? Personally, I'm into sleepers, however it's not my car or budget! I'm just the devil's advocate and vicarious 'hotter-upperer'.

Cheers in anticipation

Offline pedro666

• post whore
  • VET NEO VVL is how I roll...
Re: CA20 Automatic Corsair - Worth doing up?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21, 2011, 11:06AM »
its all possible. the gearbox mounts are the only ones that change according to box. I'd say check the project threads and the wiki section, and the all powerful search. there are varying views on engines depending on your intentions..
the words "race car" spelled backward still spell "race car"? 

skype_shannan801

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • sth. oz local moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #2 on: Apr 24, 2011, 11:43AM »
I gotta say, sounds like you want to do a lot of hard work... would be easier and cheaper if you want it to look like a TRX, sell it and buy a TRX. Then your engine is already converted to a KA aswell. In my opinion, the attesa's aren't even worth doing up these days, seems like a lot of work for not much gain.
Jason reffering to the OzVR4 Forum... "Even their forum is slow" "FJ20.com on the other hand, yep that S12 does Mono's"

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #3 on: Apr 24, 2011, 12:09PM »
I agree.

Maybe just lower it, better swaybars, then enjoy what-ever twisty roads are near your place... then sell it and buy a better 'quick out of the box' vehicle when your a bit older.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline 573LF

« Reply #4 on: May 7, 2011, 12:29PM »
Thanks guys.

If ATTESA's aren't worthy of investing in, then Corsairs aren't either.

My final recommendation to my cousin would be

-handling package. handling is a bonus, it's the stance that's gonna compensate for those trimmed-down indicators.
-refresher glossy paintjob
-bolt on my old turbo when i get a new one
-represent

Back to the ATTESA. nearly a decade ago someone asked me what my dream car was. my dreams have a hint of realism sometimes (budget) and i mentioned the U13JDMSSS. I just love them. Already got a mate to buy one and a few others interested. Cool Cult Car :) or at least a worthy project. Any hand-me-down-used-part donations gracefully accepted...

Offline 573LF

« Reply #5 on: May 7, 2011, 03:29PM »
the current 'performance and handling' sticky's are full of fun ideas. And thanks for your thoughts in the replies so far.

antrx cam grind deal is a nice touch. just add straight-through exhaust, no need for mandrel bends n sitch. nice note, lumpy idle, old skool muscle car style-

"our corsair hotrod" and stuff like that.

and on the sensible side of things: dba brakes & greenstuff pads rather than an 11" GTR conversion.

i'm guessing these ideas for directions to go in would be worthwhile, if things are getting boring - to bling it up a little & show that the auto corsair is not completely damned; to show it some compassion, at least.
I agree.

Maybe just lower it, better swaybars, then enjoy what-ever twisty roads are near your place... then sell it and buy a better 'quick out of the box' vehicle when your a bit older.
yeah, probably best as a workhorse/'semi-recreational vehicle' until a second-hand Nissan juke comes within reach... or a convertible Attesa...

...would be easier and cheaper if you want it to look like a TRX, sell it and buy a TRX. Then your engine is already converted to a KA aswell.
or Pintara TRX---> nice car as is.

the 'hot-up potential' issue was probably a result of the Corsair's provocative Ferrari-red paint-job. Perhaps a re-buff is the best immediate investment given the rest of the car's specs.

its all possible. the gearbox mounts are the only ones that change according to box. I'd say check the project threads and the wiki section, and the all powerful search. there are varying views on engines depending on your intentions..

It's good to know that mounts aren't a problem between engine block and frame - one less headache when considering whether something is an over-investment.

It would be interesting to understand what different people think of the various engine swap options if the intention is to sculpt a respectable, good-value 'warm street car' out of a car that was once awarded biggest lemon. reading the technical section looks to be very info-taining. Enough info to make me wanna concentrate on replacing the faulty alternator on my own vehicle.