Author Topic: Lightened cam gears.....  (Read 2697 times)

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
Lightened cam gears.....
« on: Mar 8, 2011, 01:40PM »
Hey guys just wandering if any has or knows if the sr20 lightened cam gears are interchangeable with stock ka ones ? Or any lightened cam gears that would fit.

Cheers.....
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS
INDIVIDUAL THROTTLE BODIES

Offline FuzzyDropbear

• antrx.com senior member
  • L26 Boost Junkie
Re: Lightened cam gears.....
« Reply #1 on: Mar 8, 2011, 02:02PM »
SR20 cam gears are different than KA's.

What are you building to need lightened cam gears?
Datsun boys, we like 'em fast, so we drop 'em low, heavy on the gas!

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #2 on: Mar 8, 2011, 02:19PM »
I've been modifying my corsair trying to do everything I can that doesn't involve internals for now. I have a project thread on it just telling you guys what I've done etc.

Was kinda just a thought that popped into my head....
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline FuzzyDropbear

• antrx.com senior member
  • L26 Boost Junkie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 8, 2011, 03:12PM »
Are you still running those Lukey headers? If so, you'd get bigger returns by putting the money towards some proper headers and exhaust. But that's my opinion,  :D feel free to ignore it.
Datsun boys, we like 'em fast, so we drop 'em low, heavy on the gas!

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #4 on: Mar 8, 2011, 03:50PM »
I'm actually buying noss old T on the weekend and taking the complete exhaust. Those lukey headers I got from the wreckers off a Ti awhile back, only cost me $25. Everyones quoted me on the exhaust to fuck it off lol. Is lukey that bad ?
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 8, 2011, 05:55PM »
I'm actually buying noss old T on the weekend and taking the complete exhaust. Those lukey headers I got from the wreckers off a Ti awhile back, only cost me $25. Everyones quoted me on the exhaust to fuck it off lol. Is lukey that bad ?

Not so much crap as it is gain wise. Off the shelf for KA's are not worth it.. Custom is the way to go for better gains.
Ill fight you. May even throw a bar of soap your way. Maybe a few wax strips and some clip on brembo brake calipers for your fooly sic civic.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #6 on: Mar 9, 2011, 07:27PM »
Dude....stop fucking around and wasting time with bullshit mods.

KA24E's are cheap.

Complete motor from a wrecker will cost you about $150.

Pull it down, and play around with it. Learn how to reassemble it. Then build your own motor.

I fucked around with bullshit mdos when I was 18, and got fuck all return from the mods that I did.

The self "ported" head that is still on the motor is getting cut up in a bandsaw so I can properly develop the next head. That's all it is good for.
Bottom end is getting built strong for boost in my application, but you can change to a high compression forged piston for a NA motor.

Here's my recommendation for someone that is on a budget but wants a more "lively" KA:
- Lightweight flywheel, about $400 from the US. This will make the motor far more responsive, and will allow it to rev up quicker.
- A cam with > 264 deg duration on the intake / exhaust lobes. This alone will get the motor pulling hard to the rev cut at 6500rpm.
- A decent set of extractors. All the off the shelf crap, is well...shit. Primaries that are at least 40mm ID are required...off the shelf stuff is about 38mm. a 4-2-1 collector is what you need too.
- No smaller than a 2.5" exhaust and a 200 cpi cat. Backpressure is not your friend in a NA motor.
- Keep your Swirl Control Valves, make sure they are working however. If they aren't working, it'll drive like a dog under 2800rpm.

That should cost you under $2k if you are smart and shop around. The extractors don't need to be stainless steel either.

Oh..and to answer your original question, KA24E cam gears are as light as possible already without sacrificing durability. Last thing you want is a cam gear breaking and fucking your motor.