Author Topic: sr20 awd conversion  (Read 2635 times)

Offline ajox

• antrx.com junior member
sr20 awd conversion
« on: Jan 22, 2011, 02:24PM »
so i was talking with my buddy who is a nissan tech and i brought up an old idea of converting a US stanza to awd with the bluebird sss drivetrain. now i know the stanza has the tunnel to accommodate the drive shaft to the rear end, but are there any other differences between the US U12 and the HNU12 that underpins the bluebird that would make the transplant impractical or otherwise impossible. if i havent been clear dont flame me, just ask and ill clarify my question if i can.
"damn kids. give'em anything with a five speed and they think theyre fucking mario andretti."- SC State Trooper

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
Re: sr20 awd conversion
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2011, 03:16PM »
Its been done by a member in Sydney, not around much anymore, his name was Zul.

I have an AWD HNU12 rear end that a fellow member on here has purchased from me (Bloodstained) and he is fitting it to his currently FWD KA24DE which is already turbo charged ;) ... so it will be an AWD KA24DE-T U12.

The fuel tank has to become a fuel cell in the boot or find an AWD tank (difficult). Otherwise the locating points for the AWD rear end have to be fitted/welded on. I believe some match up to the FWD stock and some do not. Not having ever done it, I'm not certain, just remembering what people have told me in the past.

The exhaust also has to be relocated on a FWD as it runs exactly where the output to rear diff runs, the AWD's has a lump under the front left of the drivers seat because of this (the cat convertor sits off to the side, under the driver, or passenger in the US).

2x engine mount points are identical, 3x are different and there is no north south cross-member like on the FWD's, there is an east/west cross member that runs across behind the radiator across the front of the car.

Thats about all I can think of right now! :)
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline ajox

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2011, 11:28AM »
so rear diff should hook right up after moving the gas tank?
"damn kids. give'em anything with a five speed and they think theyre fucking mario andretti."- SC State Trooper

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2011, 11:36AM »
Is that what I said?

It won't 'hook right up' ... it will need some work.

But as I said, a fellow member (Bloodstained) is about to attempt the modification in his FWD U12 here in Melbourne. I'm sure he will be taking lots of pics and work-logging the conversion.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist