Author Topic: KA24e conversion to KA24DE  (Read 4050 times)

Offline navara95

• antrx.com pre-pewbie newbie
KA24e conversion to KA24DE
« on: Feb 21, 2006, 07:07AM »
Has anyone ever tried converting the KA24E to a twin cam engine with the KA24DE top end? Looking for some advice before trying it myself.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
Re: KA24e conversion to KA24DE
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2006, 07:12AM »
One guy in the USA did, but blew it up after nitrous abuse.

i'm still undecided.

I can tell you that there is an additional part to the timing cover that needs to be fabricated to cover up a gap left by using the SOHC timing cover.

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2006, 01:14PM »
You should be weary of the timing chain also... the KA24e has a single width chain (as i remember), the KA24DE has either a double chain (pre 1995) and changed over to the single chain for the later 90's makes.  I would suspect you could still use the single chain on the double sprockets, but its something to watch for.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2006, 02:50PM »
it is double chain from the top of the head to the intermediate shaft between the head and the block, then single from there to the drive gear on the snout of the crank.

Offline MAG86

• antrx.com senior member
  • L24ET on the way.....
« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2006, 03:53PM »
so its possible then??

anyone on this forum actually done it??

I am interested in doing it, i would buy and fab all the parts needed, reco the DE head and do a bit of polishing and get the valves nice and tight, then spend a weekend bolting it all together.....

The only problem is a lack of info....
[0O\======/O0]

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2006, 04:20PM »
yes it is possible, and has been done on other nissan forums.

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #6 on: Mar 27, 2006, 05:15PM »
oh I gotta ask about how to implement it into the u12 wiring loom.  I can swap the u13 loom back in, but the u12 ECU is easier to chip, so wanted to go with that. 

The major differences between the twin cam and the single cam head being:
Dizzy - different from the KA24E the DE has different loom plug and internals.
Vacuume switches from intake manifold - i dont even know what these things do, but they arent on the DE... any one know what they do?

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2006, 06:54AM »
They can be eliminated. You only need a vac line for the FPR and the brake booster.

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2006, 08:01AM »
They can be eliminated. You only need a vac line for the FPR and the brake booster.
I assumed they arent vital, just wanted to make sure and know what they were for.  So just need to sort out the dizzy... doing the DE engine conversion for the second time (a little differently) and still getting ennoying little issues  :-\

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #9 on: Mar 28, 2006, 08:16AM »
Since i removed the SCV's from my intake manifold, i have eliminated practically all the vac lines bar for the FPR.

Offline MAG86

• antrx.com senior member
  • L24ET on the way.....
« Reply #10 on: Mar 30, 2006, 09:32AM »
so whats the go??..... :)

Do i source a DE head from the wreckers,i dont get all the timing chain stuff though

sounds like a lot of mucking around.... im keen to do it but lack the knowledge adn info on this topic is scarce...
[0O\======/O0]

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #11 on: Mar 30, 2006, 10:24AM »
OK really it is quite easy. 
You will need to source the DE head, dizzy, inlet manifold, exhaust manifold, and timing chain cover (or make small plate).  my guess is about $700 for that.   The fitment should be fine, just a case of off with the old, on with the new.  You may have to get an auto electrician to sort out the plug for the dizzy unless you can source an electrical diagram for the DE... but he only has to change 4 wires.
Timing chain wont be an issue, but I imagine you will have to get DE chain to fit the head  ;)

Dont let the stuff scare you, it shouldnt be hard, and you will learn alot! not to mention the extra power.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #12 on: Mar 30, 2006, 11:02AM »
OK really it is quite easy. 
You will need to source the DE head, dizzy, inlet manifold, exhaust manifold, and timing chain cover (or make small plate).  my guess is about $700 for that.   The fitment should be fine, just a case of off with the old, on with the new.  You may have to get an auto electrician to sort out the plug for the dizzy unless you can source an electrical diagram for the DE... but he only has to change 4 wires.
Timing chain wont be an issue, but I imagine you will have to get DE chain to fit the head  ;)

Dont let the stuff scare you, it shouldnt be hard, and you will learn alot! not to mention the extra power.

I am going to go against what colby has said and say that if you don't have a spare engine to mock the DE head onto the block and work out what else needs to be done, i wouldn't attempt it if you don't know what you're doing. It is not as easy as he makes it out to be.