Author Topic: Sump gasket replacement  (Read 3286 times)

89tipintara

Sump gasket replacement
« on: Apr 22, 2004, 02:42PM »
when i bought my engine 12 months ago they dropped it...........yeah thats right they dropped it........ so the sump was dented and now the truth about them replacing it has come out. my oil leak is getting worse so i went under and had a peak. There is silicone around the sump gasket, and now thats slowly peeling away, hence the increase in oil flow. so i bought a 'gasket Kit' that is improperly named as you only receive a gasket, no other bits and pieces...and thought i would replace it myself. And of course this shit aint simple....So my question is, has anybody replaced this gasket or have any idea on how to do it? i was quoted 400 hundgy from a local greasor whom suggested fully removing the engine is the way to go...i didnt think that was needed. can anybody with the u12 bible give me an idea on how to do this, or just simply say....let the greasor do it. cheers in advance. peace, out.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
Re: Sump gasket replacement
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22, 2004, 02:57PM »
My advice: go to another mechanic.

Or:
drain oil completely
undo both front and rear engine mounts
drop cross member
undo front engine mount support from the block
undo all bolts holding the sump on
using a sump seal cutter or a flat blade, slice sealing gasket to remove pan
clean sump mating surface (remove all traces of liquid gasket), while your there clean out the sump too
remove all traces of gasket from mating surface on engine block, be careful not to leave any small fragments near the main bearings
For cleaning the 2 surfaces, i'd use a rag soaked in thinners, it will clean off the crap well that might be left and completely evaporates after it's dried, leaving zero residue
put new gasket/liquid gasket on pan
reinstall

also to note, the 2 (i think) bolts holding the sump on the gbox side, the one closest to the front of the car is a complete [i seem to suffer from tourettes] to get to both to tighten and loosen. I'll try and scan the relevant info later.

Offline MR.TRX

• antrx.com senior member
  • MMMMMM..... TRX...!!!
    • Mr.TRX
« Reply #2 on: Apr 22, 2004, 03:03PM »
My advice: go to another mechanic.

Or:
drain oil completely
undo both front and rear engine mounts
drop cross member
undo front engine mount support from the block
undo all bolts holding the sump on
using a sump seal cutter or a flat blade, slice sealing gasket to remove pan
clean sump mating surface (remove all traces of liquid gasket), while your there clean out the sump too
remove all traces of gasket from mating surface on engine block, be careful not to leave any small fragments near the main bearings
For cleaning the 2 surfaces, i'd use a rag soaked in thinners, it will clean off the crap well that might be left and completely evaporates after it's dried, leaving zero residue
put new gasket/liquid gasket on pan
reinstall

also to note, the 2 (i think) bolts holding the sump on the gbox side, the one closest to the front of the car is a complete c*nt to get to both to tighten and loosen. I'll try and scan the relevant info later.

this is the easiest way to do it ,

but you say you bought a gasket ? by memory the ka24 has no sump gasket only
gasket silicon/sealant.
it's not too hard just messy.
good luck.
I'M ONLY 2 PEOPLE SHORT OF A THREESOME!!!

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2004, 04:56PM »
I'm sure there are companies that make them MR.TRX, but i did what Nissan recommend and use liquid gasket.
hehehehe....i'm sure it's not a PITA for you cos you can put it up on a lift  ;D

89tipintara

« Reply #4 on: Apr 22, 2004, 05:27PM »
cheers guys, i will give that a go.

the cross member was what deterred me.

i have a gasket. What is this gasket silicon sealant you speek of? where can i buy it? i bought the gasket from supercheap, they ordered it for me.

do i need to hold the engine up once i undo those mounts sssgtr?

"what does it all mean bassel"

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: Apr 22, 2004, 05:56PM »
gasket silicone sealant comes in a tube (like glue).  there are several different types and i dont think it matters what brand you get.  you can get it from k-mart, autobarn etc.  even BP servo should have some of it in there auto section (silastic brand)... i use Loctite blue max silicone gasket maker, but only because weve already got some :) cos it isnt the cheapest.   

i had my sump gasket replaced when my timing chain was done at no extra cost because the sump needs to come off anyway to do it.   doesnt the exhaust manifold or extractors have to come off to do it properly?

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #6 on: Apr 22, 2004, 05:57PM »
and shouldnt the place that put your new engine in be fixing it seeing as they lied to you???

89tipintara

« Reply #7 on: Apr 22, 2004, 10:07PM »
and shouldnt the place that put your new engine in be fixing it seeing as they lied to you???

hahaha yeah...... ::) i already went back so they could fix the harmonic balancer or some shit....it went through the head and oil everywhere...well thats there explanation....thats when they told me they dropped it...so at that point in time there was 1 month to go in the warranty, and of course the oil starting leaking 2 months later. fuckwits. i posted that on here when it happened. that was ALL JAP on sandgate road, brisbane. the guy that works behind the counter needs to be farkin whacked, and whacked hard. get this. When he was under the bonnet checking my car, the imobilisor came on and the horn made a beep, its fairly loud but not that loud, and he stares at the horn and raises his fist and goes "dont you fuckin scream at me " hahaha talk about having a bad day!!!  tool bag.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #8 on: Apr 22, 2004, 11:00PM »
hehe those guys are tools at times.. they have their good & bad moments.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

89tipintara

« Reply #9 on: Jul 8, 2004, 02:33PM »
sorry to bring this old topic back up but this weekend I am attempting to do this. I want to know whether the engine has to be supported once the mount bolts are undone. Ans the step from there to 'dropping the crossmember' I am kinda confused about. What is involved in dropping the cross member? cheers.

89tipintara

« Reply #10 on: Jul 8, 2004, 02:35PM »
also, as tasr.x asked. wouldnt the exhaust have to come off as well?

Offline Resin

• i have 5 studs
  • nsw local moderator
  • post whore
    • Gardening Forum
« Reply #11 on: Jul 8, 2004, 03:08PM »
i was going to attempt this and in the end saw what was involved and said fuck that .....and so i cleaned up where i thought it was leaking and then spread a whole heap of gasket sealant around and it hasn't leaked at all since ....and that was a year ago...

89tipintara

« Reply #12 on: Jul 8, 2004, 04:34PM »
yeah thats what I am considering doing. But if I sell the car next year I will get it dont properly before then. I am just over the bullshit oil leak I have. What did you use to clean it with? Mine leaks alot so I guess I will have to be quick from the time I clean to the time I spread that gasket goo on it.

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
« Reply #13 on: Jul 22, 2004, 12:56AM »
yeah there's a lot of work in getting the sump off. I would set aside a couple of hours at least for the job. I did mine as I was doing my timing chain, so it wasn't a big issue.
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds