Author Topic: Oil cap, how the hell did this happen???  (Read 2045 times)

89tipintara

Oil cap, how the hell did this happen???
« on: Apr 22, 2004, 08:54AM »
i was getting ready for this morning and thought i better top up the oil, and to my suprise i went to tighten the oil cap and the top half broke off!!! leaving the threaded part stuck in the rocker cover. bits and pieces of plastic were hanging round the top ready to drop into the engine but luckily i stopped that. so anyway are these oil caps easy to come by? price? and how do you suggest i get the rest of it out? cheers in advance.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
Re: Oil cap, how the hell did this happen???
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22, 2004, 09:37AM »
Haha, i'm laughing as I did the exact same thing a few weeks ago Sharmo :D.  I got my replacment cap from super cheap auto.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #2 on: Apr 22, 2004, 09:59AM »
yeah its called over tightening :P

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2004, 01:26PM »
watch out for the drain cock in the bottom of the radiator - the same thing happens but it has a hollow middle, so once the top breaks off the coolant just flows out.

A new one is $40, 2nd hand cost me $10.
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

89tipintara

« Reply #4 on: Apr 22, 2004, 02:36PM »
yeah its called over tightening :P

you cant blame me for over tightning it, i cant help it...*Looks at biceps*.. you dont grow these babies over night   :P :P :P

so rich was that 40 bucks for the oil cap or the cap on the radiator???? your post reads like you are calling ma a cock hahaha  >:( >:( 
watch out for the drain c*ck

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
« Reply #5 on: Apr 23, 2004, 02:15PM »
hahaha no I wasn't calling you a cock dudey :D

To drain the radiator coolant you open a drain  c o c k  in the bottom of the radiator. It's made out of plastic and is a pretty piddly little thing. Anyway mine snapped when I tried to open it. Just too old I guess. It cost me $10 to replace but was a major pain in the a$$ because my car had to sit overnight in the garage with no coolant in it, which is bad for the whole cooling system.
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

Offline Milford

• resident clown
  • post whore
« Reply #6 on: Apr 24, 2004, 01:34PM »
i drove my car to my friends house with coolant pouring out of my water pump, that was scary