Author Topic: U12 KA24E Pintara overheats in very specific circumstances  (Read 3871 times)

Offline ad5

• antrx.com pre-pewbie newbie
I have a 91 Pintara TRX and have owned it for nearly 6 years. I got it with 150k km on the clock and its now up to 230k km. The temp almost always stays within the middle dots. However, there has been a problem with it overheating in very specific circumstances since I've owned the car. The temp starts to go over half way (and I've seen it go up to 3/4) when ALL of the following are true:

1. Its very hot weather. Over 35.
2. I have the AC on.
3. I'm moving slow in traffic. The temp doesn't go up if it just sits there idling. I've tried to simulate several times for mechanics on very hot days with AC on but temp doesn't go up. On open road it doesn't go up.

So basically it only happens on a hot day with the AC on and in bumper to bumper traffic with lots of stopping and starting. If the AC is off it doesn't happen.

I have tried the following:
1. New thermostat.
2. Had the radiator serviced. although I'm not sure theses guys were the best.
3. New waterpump.

While I'm not driving in these circumstances 99% of the time, I cant use the AC when I need it most, in those real hot days stuck in traffic. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2008, 08:06AM by ad5 »

Offline wombat

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sleep... What's that?
Re: U12 KA24E Pintara overheats in very specific circumstances
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2008, 09:07AM »
check that the electric fans come on (the ones near the radiator)

If you're moving fast enough, there's air coming through the radiator to cool the engine. Slow traffic no movement, air doesn't flow through the radiator, causing everything to heat up. You should be able to hear the thermo fans come on - if you haven't heard them, your stereo's up too loud, or they're not coming on.
I'm so far behind at work, I'm almost retro!

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2008, 09:30AM »
have you checked your relays? if your fans arent coming on like wombat has suggested, they'd be the most likely culprit, but if it is them, you have to figure out why they're failing.. it could be that your fans are getting a bit sticky, causing an excessively high load on the circuit blowing the relay.. which means as soon as you replace them, they're going to blow again.. that just means replace the fans of pull them apart and clean out any gunk that may be causing the problem.. but it could be something else.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline ad5

• antrx.com pre-pewbie newbie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2008, 10:48AM »
Sorry, forgot to mention that the fans are working. They kick in when the should too. Thats the first thing I and all the mechanics who have looked at it tested. Just cant seem to point the issue. Also, im getting bits of coolant leaks from hoses that are fastened as tight as can be. It seems there is a massive build up of pressure.
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2008, 10:51AM by ad5 »

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2008, 03:05PM »
do you have those plastic guards bolted in underneath the engine bay? they actually help with the air flow. your car has a high and low speed fan relay, both need to be working, especially with the a/c.
http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php/topic,13228.0.html
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2008, 03:08PM by rathies »
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2008, 03:15PM »
It may or may not work, but also try your Temperature Control Sensor.

I had a similar problem and that was my solution. Also, one member once contributed his to a clogged up air con condensor. So try that if you are desperate enough.
mr 4ut0m4t1c d0r1fft0000 p1nny 0n ga5 w17h cu5t0m u13h su8w00f3r!
When i'm cruisin' wit my bitches and G's ready to pop a cap in the ass of some fool who thinks he's bank by takin' my corner of the block....  ::)

Offline BRUCE-TI

• QLD 5 Year Badge!
  • antrx.com full member
  • my car's just out of frame. To the left.<<<<
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2008, 08:14PM »
This may sound stupid but try the radiator cap. If there is that much pressure surely it should be venting into the overflow tank.(you can actually buy temp guage ones from super cheap) And as another simple thing. On the standard ka24 you have to release the air from the system, there is a bleed bolt on the plenum chamber. I know i had that problem.
'91 Pintara TI Saphire Blue with a unifilter and TSW VX1 Venoms.  Mild but soon to be wild.

"Under steer is where the nose of your car hits the wall and over steer is when the ass end of your car hits the wall. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

Offline U12notU2

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2008, 05:38PM »
Um i know with mine the fans wouldnt switch on...so instead of going to a mechanic i wired it up with a fuse wrapped in aluminium foil to a wire leading to a switch underneath the mirror control.  So to turn the fans on i just flick the switch on :P.  But one thing I noticed, and it was probably the most annoying, the wires had to connect properly...or the fans spin the wrong way.  And since theres 2 fans I'd have one going the right way the other the wrong way, then vice versa then both wrong then got it right :).  Yeah so they may be on, just check which way the air is blowing.  Is most likely not that but thats my 2 cents worth of experience related to your problem.