Author Topic: 5 stud conversion on HNU13  (Read 4829 times)

Offline LUP15

• antrx.com senior member
  • formerly DIGITOBI
5 stud conversion on HNU13
« on: Sep 27, 2007, 11:01AM »
does anyone know what would be involved and if its even possible?

i have trial fitted some R33 4pot brakes and there seem to be some alignment problems. 1) the rotor is not centered with the caliper and 2) the outside of the rotor hits the caliper

now if i do a 5 stud conversion would these 2 problems be solved? i really thought it wouldve matched up if i used the correct rotors but it seems thats not the case :(

cheers for the info guys
Project LUP15 <-- Click Here      ||      If you're an enthusiast in QLD or anywhere else, support it --> Lakeside Raceway

Offline Jason

• U12/13 mixer
Re: 5 stud conversion on HNU13
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27, 2007, 03:11PM »
It depends on what hubs your gong to use, It might not change the "rotor offset" at all which means it will still sit off to one side in the caliper, and with the other problem i dont think you'll solve that either, the cailper will still be bolted onto the same part of the hub houlsing arrangment.

I would machine the overall diameter of the rotor down to clear the inside of the caliper, and depending on what way the caliper needs to move to center the rotor either machine material off, or make a spacer.

Hope this helps, do you have any pics??

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #2 on: Sep 27, 2007, 03:53PM »
Are you mounting the caliper flush to the hub? I know with the r32 calipers you need to take a bit off to allow the caliper to sit flush with the hub where it mounts. This may be causing some alignment issues...
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline LUP15

• formerly DIGITOBI
« Reply #3 on: Sep 27, 2007, 04:03PM »
yeah i do, here they are. dodgy pictures but you get the picture :)

ive also done a bit of searching and it seems that the rotor does need to be machined down even with the 5 stud, however nobody has mentioned about the rotor not sitting centered... maybe cause they were all u12?? heres the topic links

http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php?topic=7442.0
http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php?topic=11603.0

Project LUP15 <-- Click Here      ||      If you're an enthusiast in QLD or anywhere else, support it --> Lakeside Raceway

Offline LUP15

• formerly DIGITOBI
« Reply #4 on: Sep 27, 2007, 04:06PM »
Are you mounting the caliper flush to the hub? I know with the r32 calipers you need to take a bit off to allow the caliper to sit flush with the hub where it mounts. This may be causing some alignment issues...

the backing plate was fouling it a bit, but i bent it back so it'd fit. maybe i didnt bend it far back enough. for me the caliper sits towards the engine bay too much, that is id need a spacer to spacer the caliper out. the 'smaller clearence' of the second picture was the outside of the disc

Offline Resin

• i have 5 studs
  • nsw local moderator
  • post whore
    • Gardening Forum
« Reply #5 on: Sep 28, 2007, 10:31AM »
so maxima hubs dont fit? their 5 stud arent they?, and fwd. Could be an option. Might allow the r33 brakes to bolt on.

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #6 on: Sep 28, 2007, 10:37AM »
I'm a total n00b with brakes, but maybe the rotor isn't centered because the pistons aren't fully "pushed out" ?
1994 u13 SSS Attesa ftw. Project thread here
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline LUP15

• formerly DIGITOBI
« Reply #7 on: Sep 28, 2007, 10:53AM »
there were no pistons in the caliper :)

so maxima hubs dont fit? their 5 stud arent they?, and fwd. Could be an option. Might allow the r33 brakes to bolt on.

not too sure, how could i check? i aint too familar with the hub setup...

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #8 on: Sep 28, 2007, 10:58AM »
Im fairly sure hiro is using the maxima hubs, have a look through his project thread to find out. If you do im fairly sure you'll need maxima suspension aswell.
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline LUP15

• formerly DIGITOBI
« Reply #9 on: Oct 4, 2007, 04:18PM »
mm looks like i will have to leave this mod till another time...its gonna involve too much custom work which=$$$

damnit really wante better braking but looks like ill just make the stock setup the best as possible and leave the bigger brakes to another day

thanks for the input guys

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #10 on: Oct 4, 2007, 07:31PM »
Just a quick comparison for those interested in the skyline caliper upgrade...

This is the 30mm version not the 26mm ones.

This is what you have to look out for when doing the upgrade as majority of wheels wont clear the lettering on the calipers

« Last Edit: Oct 4, 2007, 07:33PM by Kranzy »

"Noss is GOD"

Offline LUP15

• formerly DIGITOBI
« Reply #11 on: Oct 4, 2007, 08:35PM »
yeah i wanted to do what u did by keeping the 4stud and upgrading... but for the love of me the caliper just doesnt sit right :(

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #12 on: Oct 4, 2007, 08:38PM »
did you chamfer the edge so the caliper sits flush?

There should be no issue why it doesnt work...

Where are you located?

"Noss is GOD"