Author Topic: Corsair Headwork? (on KA24)  (Read 7956 times)

Offline crazy2287

• antrx.com full member
Corsair Headwork? (on KA24)
« on: Jan 16, 2011, 11:00AM »
Hello thair ya'll.
I pulled the head off the Corsair because im a moron and bent valves, Putting a spare back on.
Did a leak check on the valves and have decided to lap some of them back in. So, since im going to be pulling it down so far already, i figure it's FK all extra work to crack out the die grinder or have the head shaved. I read somewhere that the limit on shaving these heads is .2mm? Would  such a small increase in comp even be worth it?
I also looked around to see what sort of porting is typical on these engines. Looking at the ports, they seem pretty well made already. Anyone got tips on the port-work recommended on these heads?
and finally, Whats the go with the head gaskets not having cutouts for the water-ports between head and block? has it got some crazy cross-flow thing going on in the block or is it just retardation?
Cheers.
Crazy2287.
I drive like i screw..... illegally =D... wait O.o WHAT?? O.O

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
Re: Corsair Headwork? (on KA24)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2011, 07:20AM »
Shaving 0.2mm increases your compression ratio marginally, I don't remember the numbers but figure somewhere around the 0.05 mark. It is only worth doing to give you a clean headgasket surface.

By all means stick an intake manifold gasket on the ports on the intake side and port match that side of the head, but for everything else i'd leave it alone unless you have access to a flow bench.

I dabbled with a ported sohc head many years ago, and it did not give me the gains I was after. I also did not have it flow tested before or after portwork.
On that head I also had the chambers welded up to bump up compression, but in hindsight, this is not worth it either, since it did not yield even combustion chamber volumes despite my best efforts to get them within 1cc of each other. I think I fucked up the burn pattern too. :(
Needless to say, when this head comes off the motor it's current on, it has a date with the bandsaw.

My next foray into porting these heads will be once my flowbench is up and running.

Offline crazy2287

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2011, 05:06PM »
alright sweet, makes my job eazyer. pretty much just put this head on once the valves are lapped.
Are the ports to the water jackets supposed to be blocked by the head gasket (all bar cylinder 4) or should i cut them out?

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2011, 07:02AM »
Not that I remember.

Offline crazy2287

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2011, 04:40PM »
just something i noticed, Not sure if it needs to be blocked to promote a "crossflow" of the coolant? If i remove the material blocking the holes am i gonna get hot point on cylinder 4?
Might have to do some research.

Offline crazy2287

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2014, 11:27PM »
Dragging this old thread back up.

So i've blown the headgasket between cylinder 3 and 4 and filled the sump with water (Caramel for oil anyone?) So the heads off the car again.

Not keen on the head gasket brand i was using so open for any recommendations on brands or suppliers for a headgasket.

I'm going to CC the Chambers and deck the head. Take at least that .2 of a mm off to get it nice and flat but am going to look into pushing that further (If there's any point?) for a comp increase. Why? Because i cant bring myself to pull a car apart and NOT try to make it go faster on the way back together. I'd put a bigger cam in too if they were just a phone call away but last i remember it involved getting a blank or having your own cam re-machined...

Hmm i suppose i do have a couple of spare cam's. But i would need advice on what to have it ground to since im not that tech.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #6 on: Sep 24, 2014, 08:54AM »
If you get your cam re-ground, give wade's a call and have a chat with them, but basically everyone always ordered the same cam. Just ask them about the cam I always used to order - it's about 270 degrees duration and 0.44" lift on both intake and exhaust from memory, the specs are based on the Nismo R4 cam.

Last I spoke with wade's they had 2 or 3 billet cams in stock, so if you want to go a bit more agressive, then the billet is the go. It's a little more pricey when purchasing the billet, but it's worth while to get done.

Check the specs in the thread here http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php/topic,19544.msg292279.html#msg292279

You can get cam grinds up to 300 degrees duration and 0.5" lift. It's probably a good idea to get your hands on some solid lifters if possible and either new standard or stiffer valve springs, but if you're looking at doing more headwork then I imagine that kind of thing is going to be looked at anyway.

you can get solid lifters at a few places, but they're not cheap

https://www.ojperformance.com/Online%20Store/product.php?productid=16714

hybridka used to do them but they're not around anymore. SSS might be able to give you some info, he made his solid lifters himself, i might have some hydraulic lifters that i could donate for the conversion if you go down that path. Basically though, the rocker arms are forged so they're a prick to drill for the lifter screw, then thread the rocker arm for the lifter screw, then a locking nut for adjustment. also need to machine the pad surface.

You just need a screw long enough that isn't too fat to fit through the rocker arm. From memory adam said he used a chevrolet screw, but I might be wrong, either way you can pick the screws up pretty cheap from around the net, just shop around. You might want to take the rocker arms to a machine shop to have them do the whole lot for you (drilling and tapping the thread) and you would probably come out at a faction of the US$400 that O&J are selling them for.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #7 on: Sep 24, 2014, 09:20AM »
Wades are no more mate, they shut up shop a few months ago.

Offline crazy2287

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #8 on: Sep 26, 2014, 08:52PM »
Well been reading through and decided to go a different direction since NA mods are a little annoying and apparently these engines can handle boost well.
So i'm looking at this:
http://www.frsport.com/FRSPORT-1146-FRS-ARP-Head-Studs---Cometic-Head-Gasket-KA24DE-Combo_p_15966.html

and reassemble the motor (after the head is decked) and drive it for 6 months. Put it thought its paces and if it goes well and the gasket holds (considering the oil was emulsified from the water contamination, it will need to pass some oil tests to make sure it's still wearing properly) i'll consider going AM ECU and small turbo. Using the car as a learning platform for a later turbo project.

What i ask of you gurus is, Can i use that gasket and headstuds??? I'm under the impression that the stud length and head gasket are exactly the same between the 4 valve DOHC and the 3 valve SOHC. Tracking down bits in Australia seems pricey IF you can even find them. I just need to make sure i get Ka24e Specific intake, exhaust and rocker gaskets and i'll be fine yea?

Cheers.

*Edit*
I'll add in case you guys know:
The dizzy has an oil leak. Can you still repair these? Or am i going to have to strip the dizzy and have it machined to take a standard type seal.
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2014, 09:06PM by crazy2287 »

Offline crazy2287

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #9 on: Sep 30, 2014, 11:47PM »
*bump*

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #10 on: Oct 1, 2014, 08:30AM »
Wades are no more mate, they shut up shop a few months ago.

oh really? that sucks!

http://www.frsport.com/FRSPORT-1146-FRS-ARP-Head-Studs---Cometic-Head-Gasket-KA24DE-Combo_p_15966.html

you can do E -> DE head swaps so i imagine the gasket will fit. it was only timing covers that were an issue with the head swap from memory.

also i might have an E turbo manifold somewhere. but i really need to check. don't hold me to it.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #11 on: Oct 1, 2014, 08:53AM »
Fairly sure the bearing and radial seal are off the shelf items - I'll try and remember to look at the part #'s tonight.

Offline deviate

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #12 on: Oct 1, 2014, 07:24PM »
If you're in Brisbane I'vegot a very clean kka24de head here just needs a few valves $50 and she's yours

Offline deviate

« Reply #13 on: Oct 1, 2014, 07:27PM »
Oh and the AEM eecu...  Find a tuner before you get it not many people in Oz are familiar withthem and a lot ddon't even want to touch what they don't know. Trust me I've rang close to twenty shops around Brisbane.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #14 on: Oct 2, 2014, 08:01AM »
Oh and the AEM eecu...  Find a tuner before you get it not many people in Oz are familiar withthem and a lot ddon't even want to touch what they don't know. Trust me I've rang close to twenty shops around Brisbane.

shops just want you to buy the shit they sell.

also i think i've accidentally taken this topic way off course! lol. you want to run the KA24E+T right? you just want to know if the DE gasket will work.

Offline crazy2287

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #15 on: Oct 3, 2014, 12:27AM »
Yeah. Just wanna know if that head gasket will work. Will cost me $200 for the head studs and gasket by the time they get to my door (unless someone can recommend a better option) so i only want to do this once.

Will need to source the rest of the gaskets elseware, probably locally. Might even end up cheaper to get a VRS kit and just not use the headgasket. Instead use the Ka24DE multi layer steel one.

And if i go turbo i will run MS ECU as im familiar with that so setup and tuning wont be an issue.

Offline deviate

« Reply #16 on: Oct 3, 2014, 08:11AM »
I got all my gaskets from frsport.com, it was a lot cheaper than getting it locally evenafter you add shipping costs, tthey should have kits for the ka24e as they were used in the Stanzaover tthere

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #17 on: Oct 3, 2014, 11:52PM »
The de head swap is a piece of piss. And you can use e loom. Just re wire injector plugs.

You'll need head, Intake, oil pump and cover, de oil pickup in the sump, all th side pulleys and guides etc, fuel rail and injectors.  And shave the mounting point of the top engine mount to fit
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS
INDIVIDUAL THROTTLE BODIES

Offline crazy2287

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #18 on: Oct 4, 2014, 02:56PM »
Purchased, Thanks for the feedback guys. Will let you all know how it goes.

Could not find anything for the dizzy? I think i'll pull it apart, measure it up and go on the hunt for generic seals.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #19 on: Oct 6, 2014, 07:19AM »
Completely forgot.

They are off the shelf parts - I still have a radial oil seal and new bearing at home. Will try and remember to look tonight.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #20 on: Oct 7, 2014, 06:52AM »
Bearing is a NTN 6200LLU (or SKF equivalent), Radial oil seal is a NOK AC0409E (or ACO409E?)

Offline crazy2287

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #21 on: Oct 11, 2014, 09:33AM »
Thanks for the advice and part numbers!!! was <$10 for seal and bearing combined. Couldn't find anyone selling the NOK brand but ultracheap auto (Yes, ultracheap off ebay, good parts store been using them for years) cross referenced the dimensions and found one for me.
Could not get a rocker + halfmoon, intake manifold and exhaust manifold gasket separately for less then $100 but ultracheap did a whole VRS kit for about $85 so i guess i'm just gonna have a lot of extra gaskets.

Went to the local engine builders this week to drop off the cylinder head.
Not there for 5 minutes and the guy had diagnosed the head as warped, likely cracked and irreparable. Using nothing but his experience and a metal rule on the cam journals to check for flat. I am not exaggerating.
I didn't agree. But i'm not an expert so said okay and went on my way.
The next day I blueprinted the head and found the largest difference on the face was less than 4thou or <0.1mm. Checked the cam to head alignment and it was so close to perfect that I couldn't tell.
Managed to find another engine builder across town that was not full of shit and had the head crack tested shaved 0.2mm and it came up perfect.
Shows how one person can ruin the rep of an entire business. A typical display of how a person been qualified in a task, does not mean they are actually any good at it.

Offline crazy2287

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #22 on: Oct 19, 2014, 10:38PM »
Rebuilt the dizzy today so sometime i'm gonna post up a heap of pics illustrating how to do it as well as the part numbers i used as they are differnt brands. Thanks again for the part numbers Spot on!

Have not put the eng together yet i lost one of the dowels for the block-head so im gonna have to try and source one of the tomorrow.

Offline deviate

« Reply #23 on: Oct 25, 2014, 07:53AM »
+1 for doing a tut

Offline crazy2287

• antrx.com full member