Author Topic: Sloppy gear shift  (Read 1969 times)

Offline FNQ TRX

• antrx.com full member
  • Bread, butter and bacon is how I roll.
Sloppy gear shift
« on: May 28, 2016, 10:22AM »
I have replaced the black plastic bushes in the gear shift a few times now.

When I last went to purchase the bushes from Nissan, I was advised that the parts are now obsolete and no longer stocked.  I bought 12 of the bushes that were showing as old stock from around the various Nissan dealers. Apparently there are no more to be had.... the end of the road!

Now the problem is that the plastic is obviously old oxidised and one of the bushes actually broke as I was installing it into the universal joint at the gearbox end.  Consequently it seems every few months I need to replace one of two of the bushes.  I have tried no lube, heaps of lube, tightening the bolts quote firm and leaving the bolts 'loose' with a nylock nut on the bolts.  The best 'solution' at the moment seems to be using a generous amount of grease and tightening the through bolts quite firm.

I am getting a little tired of repeating the job so frequently - I assume due to old plastic issues - and once my 'stock' of plastic bushes run out I will need to find a longer term solution.  I have seen elsewhere that others have used longer term solutions from nylon garden hose through to brass bushes.

Are brass bushes commercially available - or are they a custom make?  I can get bushing material and turn some bushes up; but wanted to do the easiest solution (meaning buy something all ready to go!) first.  Also, is there any drawback to going to brass bushes over the plastic ones?  i.e. does it flog out the universal joint?

Loving keeping old cars going!
Old guy who should know better than to mess around with old cars.

Offline FallenOne

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
Re: Sloppy gear shift
« Reply #1 on: Jun 3, 2016, 02:30AM »
make bushings from polycaprolactam(Nylon6), they will last for ages
« Last Edit: Jun 3, 2016, 04:46AM by FallenOne »

Offline FNQ TRX

• antrx.com full member
  • Bread, butter and bacon is how I roll.
Re: Sloppy gear shift
« Reply #2 on: Jun 6, 2016, 02:45PM »
Roger that.

Yeah, brass bushes maybe to hard on the surrounding steel.  I might even look at using Nyloil (self lubricating nylon) to make some bushes.

I was hoping that there might have been something 'off the shelf' available... oh well, I will have to go 'tradie' on this job to get a longer lasting solution!

Thanks for the feedback.
Old guy who should know better than to mess around with old cars.