Author Topic: Diff Problems  (Read 1988 times)

Offline BuuBox

• antrx.com junior member
Diff Problems
« on: Aug 17, 2006, 03:05PM »
Now, I mentioned this in my other thread, but I thought I'd make a new one, so it's not lost in an off topic discussion.

The diff in my U13 SSS has emotional issues. It's noisy. Now, I thought they were a sealed unit and weren't servicable? How does one go about fixing the problem?

It's got a leak from the driveshaft seal - could this be adding to the problem? May get that fixed and see when the gearbox blows up.

Offline dave-trx

• post whore
  • hates everything
Re: Diff Problems
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17, 2006, 05:24PM »
Man you give not to work on. If you have an attessa, I am pretty sure that the diff's in these cars are same as an S13. But if you are refering to to driveshafts in your car as the diff, leaking. Its easy and not that dear to fix. However if its your diff in your FWD gear box, that will be not cheap.
Your car may be able to go faster.
But I can go any where. except into a garage, underground carpark, bridge...

2 sticks and manual locking hubs. have to get out to drive it around
Good old Nissan.

KA's are the shit. According to all the info on the site, they are better then sliced bread and thats saying something.

I Got Baned for being a Total Assclown, Wanker, Tool, etc...

Offline BuuBox

« Reply #2 on: Aug 17, 2006, 05:53PM »
Sorry, my post wasn't at all clear.

The driveshaft is leaking from the seal, but I know that's a relatively easy fix. Going to get that done ASAP.

There's a noise coming from the gearbox, and the transmission place said it's probably the diff. In a FWD U13 SSS, is the diff servicable? As I said, I thought it was a sealed unit, not ment to be fixed/repaired etc.

Offline dave-trx

• post whore
  • hates everything
« Reply #3 on: Aug 17, 2006, 06:23PM »
Check your outer CV's, they click when they are fucked, yes the whole gear box is rebuildable.
Your car may be able to go faster.
But I can go any where. except into a garage, underground carpark, bridge...

2 sticks and manual locking hubs. have to get out to drive it around
Good old Nissan.

KA's are the shit. According to all the info on the site, they are better then sliced bread and thats saying something.

I Got Baned for being a Total Assclown, Wanker, Tool, etc...

Offline greenbird

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #4 on: Aug 17, 2006, 07:30PM »
BuuBox,
Have you checked the oil level in the gearbox yet? The oil level should be up to the filler plug on the front of the gearbox. You can get the filler plug out using a 1/2 inch drive ratchet ot breaker bar. Once the plug is out, you will be able to stick your finger in there and feel for the oil level.
If the oil level is low due to the leaking drive shaft seal, perhaps this could be causing the noise that you are hearing? I guess it all depends on how much oil is missing.....
If the level is low, top it up, or have new oil put in as you get the driveshaft seal replaced and see if it makes a difference.
Dan.
93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
Finer Filter, Hi-Flow cat & 2.25" exhaust
17X7 Concept 5 wheels
2 inch lowered King Springs

Offline BuuBox

« Reply #5 on: Aug 17, 2006, 08:10PM »
Took the car to a transmission place yesterday to get the oil changed - they said it was quite new, wasn't worth changing, and put some addative in it to see if that'd shut it up. I'll get the seal fixed, and wait until it gets worse.