Author Topic: Engine Loom and ECU with Engine Swap?  (Read 1710 times)

Offline Counterpunch

• antrx.com senior member
Engine Loom and ECU with Engine Swap?
« on: Apr 28, 2006, 01:34PM »
If one was changing from an SR20DET "redtop" Attesa engine to a SR20DET "blacktop" Attesa engine, should one also change to the wiring loom and ECU that came with the blacktop or just continue using the redtop loom and ECU currently installed in the car?  Or should one change the ECU only for potential map changes?  From what I have seen the blacktop has a different distributor than the redtop and that has been swapped to match the wiring loom on the car.
RNU12 Bluebird SSS Attesa
HNU13 Bluebird SSS Attesa Ltd

Offline Wolf In Sheep’s Clothing

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
Re: Engine Loom and ECU with Engine Swap?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 28, 2006, 01:58PM »
Ok, Dont quote me on this but from what iv herd Blacktops and Redtops are the same, The ecu was the only difference between the two models. some people say blacktops had bigger cams but iv herd from a reliable source that is not true. Most people think the sr20det redtop is a better engine but a tuned sr20det weather black or red is going to be the same if the ecu has been retro-fitted.

Considering all this id say that the ecu's and loom should be interchangeable. But dont quote me on that.

All the information I have told you I have ether got from magazines or web, just so u know.
Written off HNU13 Atttesa, PM me for part requests.

Offline phreeky

• antrx.com senior member
Re: Engine Loom and ECU with Engine Swap?
« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2006, 05:50PM »
given that when you punch car details (i.e. vehicle code: U13, trans: Manual, engine: SR20DET, Spec: SSS-LA) into FAST and it doesn't require a year, I dare say there could not be a different for any part numbers and therefore engine specs?!?!

i highly doubt it'd be different, sure on a U13 not many (any) people would have pulled a red and black top down side by side to compare, but on a S13 it's sure to have been done. the engine side of the loom MIGHT be different but i doubt it, in the car it wouldn't though. the other ecu would likely plug in fine anyway.

on top of that, a bench top power supply, a consult plug and a computer and you could easily pull the maps out of each and do a compare on them, simple.