Author Topic: Anyone know how to adjust clutch/accelerator throw?  (Read 6421 times)

Offline Cheezel

• antrx.com senior member
I've got my gregorys manual open and im sitting on my back under the dash, and I can't figure out for the LIFE of me how to adjust the clutch throw. The diagram in the book very (very) loosely resembles what i've got under here, but it doesnt seem to be adjusting it. Undo the two locknuts and then adjust the bolt closest to the drivers seat, right? =/

As for the accelerator throw, I've got no idea how to adjust that. Is that even possible? Or is the cable just munted? It was in reaaaally average nick when i got it (still better than the one it replaced though. lol!)
« Last Edit: Aug 8, 2011, 01:46AM by Cheezel »

Offline crazy2287

• antrx.com full member
Re: Anyone know how to adjust clutch/accelerator throw?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2011, 09:08PM »
did u get this sorted? Why do you want to adjust these things? and what car?
I drive like i screw..... illegally =D... wait O.o WHAT?? O.O

Offline Cheezel

« Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 2011, 01:30PM »
U12. Adjusted accelerator throw in the engine bay, just at the top. Accelerator cable is at the end of it's life... Still can't figure out for the life of me where my clutch throw is adjustable from. I can't see a whole lot, and cbf removing all the panels to do it. I figured out what I thought at first was my throw was actually the cruise control switch (so it disables cruise when clutch goes in).  ::)

Accelerator is spongey as poo, far too much throw in it before it starts to accelerate. Same with clutch. Too much play, a good 10-15mm of nadas until it grabs.

Edit: of course its a u12...  ::) U12 pintara TRX, 1990. =B
« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2011, 01:33PM by Cheezel »

Offline crazy2287

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #3 on: Aug 31, 2011, 04:39PM »
The accelerator is typically adjusted at the butterfly cam on the throttlebody. By moving the cable sheathing back from the cable mounting bracket you will in effect "decrease" the usable length of the cable, removing the slack. Be sure you DO NOT get to the end of the butterfly's travel BEFORE the accelerator stops on the floor. This is the best way to damage your linkages or snap your throttle cable.
Its best to have a friend sit in the car and hold the accelerator down all the way, then adjust the accelerator until you get full wide open throttle. (WOT)

typically the clutch cable adjustment will be on cable sheathing against the firewall engine side, or on the transmission side. Same deal again, you don't want to:
1: preload your clutch
2: have your clutch reach end travel before the pedal dose.

to change the amount of 'throw' on your pedal you want to move the cable fixing point on the pedal, relative to the pedal pivot point. but that is an adjustment i doubt you want to do. plus cars typically don't have such an adjustment from factory.

Offline Cheezel

« Reply #4 on: Aug 31, 2011, 05:52PM »
Cheers for the right way to adjust the accelerator cable - Gregorys recommends a few mm of accelerator play, so i've left it at that.

There is a small amount of wiggle room in our cars, despite the fact i've only got a factory hydraulic clutch set up. It's not much, but it should be enough for me to pull the clutch pedal back in line with factory specs. I hope. Otherwise O_o

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #5 on: Aug 31, 2011, 06:19PM »
Hydraulic clutch doesnt have a cable. There is a u shaped bracket that is screwed onto the clutch master cylinder with a pin in the other end that goes through the pedal. Pop your head under the dash and you'll see what i mean.

You need to loosen the locking nut, take the pin out, there is a safety pin through this also to stop the pin moving, then you can move the u bracket away from the pedal with a bit of manoeuvring. You can then adjust it up or down as you need to. This will only adjust the free play not the friction point. Once you have it right put it back together and do up the locking nut.

As said before make sure that its not starting to engage the clutch or you'll slip and wear the clutch out.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline crazy2287

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #6 on: Aug 31, 2011, 11:35PM »
Ah, hyd =  different fish. Not aware of the setups on these. mines an auto =P

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #7 on: Mar 29, 2012, 06:30PM »
digging this up, you cannot adjust the friction point on the hydraulic clutch can you ?
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS
INDIVIDUAL THROTTLE BODIES

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #8 on: Mar 29, 2012, 06:59PM »
Mine is all wrong in my U12 ATTESA, but I've still not fixed it up!
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #9 on: Apr 22, 2012, 04:20PM »
digging this up, you cannot adjust the friction point on the hydraulic clutch can you ?

BUMP  ::)
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS
INDIVIDUAL THROTTLE BODIES

Offline crazy2287

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #10 on: Sep 18, 2012, 05:53PM »
Havent been around for a while,

Again, im not familiar with the clutch setups on these as the 3 i have aer all auto. However, typically hydraulic clutches wont have an adjustable friction point. Try bleeding the clutch system first and replace the fluid.

You can adjust the pivot to push-rod ratio on the pedal and this will increase or decrease the throw. This usually requires custom modifications.

This is a customized clutch retrofit i did on my falcon. Clutch pivot (top of picture) and pushrod pivot (bottom of picture) notice the second mounting hole above the pushrod pivot. if i were to move the pushrod to this point my pedel throw would reduce and as a result the friction point would be closer towards the end of travel.

the other method is to change the bore size of either your master or slave actuating cylinders. If the cylinders are both 3/4" bore then 1" movement on the master will produce 1" movement on the slave. the ratio is inverse. if the master was 1/2" bore and the slave a 1" bore, then, pushing 1" on the master would be 1/2" in the slave.

« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2012, 05:57PM by crazy2287 »

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #11 on: Oct 19, 2012, 07:54AM »
In my 12 years of U12 ownership, i've never adjusted the clutch on a manual KA.

If you have issues, it'll either be the Clutch Mastercyl or the Slavecyl.
Both are quite easy to rebuild if the bores are in good condition.

Check that there are no cracks in the clutch pedal mount either, i vaguely remember that being a problem in my black U12 when I first bought it back in '99.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #12 on: Oct 19, 2012, 11:31AM »
when I first bought it back in '99.

99.. jesus! i wasn't even born then

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #13 on: Oct 19, 2012, 11:39AM »
Yes you were old man :-p
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #14 on: Oct 19, 2012, 12:39PM »
99.. jesus! i wasn't even born then

lol

you're a month or so older than me, do i have something to worry about when i turn 31? :D