Author Topic: Head gasket may be blown....  (Read 1971 times)

Offline FNQ TRX

• antrx.com full member
  • Bread, butter and bacon is how I roll.
Head gasket may be blown....
« on: Sep 3, 2016, 10:38PM »
Hi all.  Been a while since I posted, though I have been reading the threads over the last few months.

So the Pinny started using coolant.  Couldn't find any leaks, radiator and cap look good, so I went and had the cooling system pressure tested.  Turns out there is either a crack in the head or a blown head gasket.  Bummer as the engine only has 140,000 kms on it!  (Its a KA24E single cam engine).

The shop threw in a couple of bottles of chemical treatment that apparently works in around 70% of cases to seal up a gasket leak.  I will take the car back in a week or so to have the engine and the system flushed and pressure tested again.  I am interested  to know if anyone has experience with the head leak chemical treatments and how long they last? 

If the treatment hasn't worked, it looks like I have a head gasket job to spend a weekend on sometime soon.  Anyone here done a head gasket on the KA24E?  Any pitfalls to look for? 

However, if the problem is actually a cracked head, are there many single cam heads around?  The mechanic reckons they can get reco'ed heads for $900 - I was thinking I should be able to get a replacement engine for that!  I looked on line for a second hand engine, but there don't seem to be too many around?  Mostly the second hand engines are advertised as Navara engines, but aside from some of the ancillary brackets being different, they should be the same engine I am guessing.   

Anyway, the joys of keeping old cars on the road with p-plater children serving up the good news to old engines.....!
Old guy who should know better than to mess around with old cars.

Offline FallenOne

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
Re: Head gasket may be blown....
« Reply #1 on: Sep 6, 2016, 02:10AM »
Time to put SR20DET inside :)

Offline FNQ TRX

• antrx.com full member
  • Bread, butter and bacon is how I roll.
« Reply #2 on: Sep 6, 2016, 03:32PM »
Yes, my teenage boys did suggest something like that.... :o

Yeah....NAH!!!
Old guy who should know better than to mess around with old cars.

Offline pedro666

• post whore
  • VET NEO VVL is how I roll...
« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2016, 01:50AM »
grab deviates KA24de 10;1 comp>>>ftw :P
I think there are a few little differences, noss maybe able to clarify as he know owns one.. :D
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2016, 01:53AM by pedro666 »
the words "race car" spelled backward still spell "race car"? 

skype_shannan801

Offline deviate

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #4 on: Sep 16, 2016, 10:59PM »
grab deviates KA24de 10;1 comp>>>ftw :P
I think there are a few little differences, noss maybe able to clarify as he know owns one.. :D

11.5:1 compression haha made 117wkw on 98 would probably get another 30 with water/methonol or e85.