Author Topic: Clutch fluid vanishing!!  (Read 2390 times)

Offline 92TRX

• antrx.com junior member
Clutch fluid vanishing!!
« on: Jan 30, 2006, 01:54PM »
Trixy has a drinking problem. I sometimes need to top the cluth reservoir 2 or 3 times a week. Other times it lasts about a month. The reservoir and slave are not leaking. Had the car up on my mechanics hoist, and there's no sign of fluid anywhere. There carpet covering the firewall is never moist, and the firewall itself shows no sign of fluid either.
I can't work out were it goes, the only leak the car leaves is comming from the sump plug which needs a new seal. Has anyone had this problem. My girlfriend has been stuck on the road each time it's bucketed, she's starting to threaten my manhood unless I sort it out. Please help me keep my friend.
Why be standard, WHEN CUSTOM IS SO MUCH MORE FUN!!!

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
Re: Clutch fluid vanishing!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2006, 02:04PM »
Thats really weird.

Maybe noss is opening your bonnet at night and sucking up the clutch fluid with a straw :P

But in all seriousness, it MUST be leaking somewhere.  Along the line on firewall then down onto the box?  Checked all that?
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline bungs

• post whore
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2006, 02:27PM »
Take the slave off and check the rubber cup for deterioration. Might aswell replace it, $14 from nissan or $7 from repco and the like.

Offline thumbtack

• thats not gone well
  • rum country correspondant
  • post whore
  • fallaces sunt rerum species
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2006, 02:41PM »
Maybe noss is opening your bonnet at night and sucking up the clutch fluid with a straw :P

you know... that would explain a LOT.
The old USSR had a single time zone. They had a hammer and sickle in the ground near the Kremlin much like a sundial.
Arguments raged for years as to what to call the timezone
Moscow Time?
Comrade Time?
In the end they all agreed.
Hammer Time.

the thumbtack corporation tm is not responsible for any injuries incurred as a result of thumbtack. any resemblance to any stationery, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Offline 92TRX

« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2006, 06:21PM »
Tried sourcing the leak by leaving it in the garage, on top of new cardboard. Two days later the only difference was a couple of oil spots from the sump plug. Think I already told you that though, just got deja-vu. Hate not knowing how to fix such a simple thing.
My mechanic said to bring it in next week, I'm stumped.

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2006, 07:02PM »
Sounds like you've got a leaking slave cylinder, and the reason you can't see any leaks is because it will only leak when theres pressure in the system(when your driving) and it's dripping down inside the hole in the gearbox where the clutch fork goes in.

Offline 92TRX

« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2006, 06:27PM »
Sounds like you've got a leaking slave cylinder, and the reason you can't see any leaks is because it will only leak when theres pressure in the system(when your driving) and it's dripping down inside the hole in the gearbox where the clutch fork goes in.
Shouldn't leak if I sit in the drive way pumping the clutch and going through the gears with the wheels up in the air.

Offline Rake

• vrrrmm sssssh pstch
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • quack
    • http://www.tldr.com.au
« Reply #7 on: Feb 1, 2006, 10:46PM »
Bit of a long shot but you could also check on the other side of the firewall, up the top of the clutch pedal, make sure theres nothing leaking there.

If it's a very slow leak, maybe the small amount of fluid that escapes is burnt/evaporated away somehow? It'd explain why your not finding anything. Perhaps if you left the car for a number of days without being driven (Though the clutch wouldn't be getting used, so).

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #8 on: Feb 2, 2006, 09:32AM »
If its leaking on the interior side of the firewalll maybe the insulation between the carpet and floor is soaking it up?
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #9 on: Feb 2, 2006, 11:40AM »
Hmmm odd one this one... I discovered mine leaking on the hose mount on top of the gearbox.  It has a small metal bracket there which seems to be a weak spot in the hose.

Offline phreeky

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #10 on: Feb 2, 2006, 01:34PM »
Check the hose section and the fittings on the end. Also pull the boot back on the slave and see if fluid is sitting in there (it shouldn't be).

Make sure the pipe section hasn't been damaged either.

You could also unbolt the slave, put it (gently) in a vice so the piston cannot move, and put pressure on the pedal and look for leaks - better than pumping the pedal imo.