Author Topic: back firing  (Read 6842 times)

89tipintara

back firing
« on: Sep 24, 2003, 06:19PM »
Ok friends i have a problem. when i drive my car for an hour or so its starts to back fire like a splurt and splattering noise whenever i get off the throttle. and it keeps going till i put my foot down again. anyone experienced this before? whats going on?

89tipintara

Re:back firing
« Reply #1 on: Sep 24, 2003, 06:21PM »
also i would like to add that my car seems to be depositing alot of carbon deposites around my exhaust tip and up the back of my car. anything to do with back firing? cheers.

Offline Cle

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com senior member
  • Pinny Panthers
« Reply #2 on: Sep 24, 2003, 06:38PM »
Check your leads & plugs, If you find any small cracks then replace the lead in question with a spair & see if that fixes your problem, also check your Distrubitor cap for cracks :)

So once again, Old Plugz can weaken over time & get hairline fractures & die, Leads can have chunks out of them n go (ok) however if the spark is getting past the shielding it's a big problem, usualy the plastic shows signs of slight fatigue, & caps, well, they are not common but they do go too.

Could be some thing else but check thoes first
« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2003, 06:40PM by Cle »

trxadelaide

« Reply #3 on: Sep 24, 2003, 09:29PM »
The carbon deposits r from running 2 rich normally.. Im wondering if u have an electrical or ecu fault there... 2 much fuel going in and not being burnt b4 exiting into the exhaust...

im not a mechanic though....but my best bet would b what Cle said dude!!
if not then youd have 2 start looking into fuel mixtures and crap like that..

i hope u get it sorted soon mate!!! not nice 2 have something going wrong wit ya pride and joy

89tipintara

« Reply #4 on: Sep 25, 2003, 02:08AM »
thanks champs. i replaced my leads when i bought the car round 12 months ago but i will check them anyway. with regards to the mixtures i have suspected that for a while. i am running a gold powerchip and i think thats the prob. might have to piss it off and get the setting right. my fuel economy isnt too crash hot so we could be onto a winner there. cheers.

89tipintara

« Reply #5 on: Sep 25, 2003, 02:09AM »
just to add. sometimes when i start the car the revs go up and down for a while. dont know what this means.

trxadelaide

« Reply #6 on: Sep 27, 2003, 08:42PM »
if it turns out 2 b that the Gold Chip is givn u the probs they have 2 warranty it!!! they give a lifetime guarentee dont they???

i suppose that the chip would make the car run richer, more power=more fuel,.

Also... how much of a variaiton in revs when u start the car r we talking.??? a few hundred rpm?? Mine moves around a bit but nothing over a few rpm it seems...i rekon it's 2 do with engine tuning in my case though....

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
« Reply #7 on: Sep 27, 2003, 10:49PM »
try checking the leads that go to your O2 sensor... it sounds like this might be the problem :)
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #8 on: Sep 29, 2003, 12:10AM »
i reckon if you got a pod it mght have something to do with that, in a similar way (but not the same) as how a blow off valve that vents to atmosphere makes a turbo car backfire.. too much to explain by typing, especially at 11 at night.. but still, i reckon run it with the airbox for a while to see if it backfires or not.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

James

« Reply #9 on: Sep 30, 2003, 11:36PM »
hehe, in regards to backfiring, nathan and i are forever trying to make ours do that on cruises  :P

Offline FLOGTARA

• 300ZX FANATIC
  • post whore
  • Your mother's got a wooden leg with a kickstand!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 7, 2003, 02:23AM »
Pinta Ti, your rotor and cap where the leads come from are probably shot and burn out, my guess is that the little metal nipples inside the cap are burnt. Take off your leads and look inside the distributor for any signs of burning or worn metal nipples, you will know what i mean when you look at it.  
1990 Z32 2 Seater N/A 5spd
Mods, modified cats, cat back exhaust, HKS air filter, cyn-r-g lightened flywheel, aluminium underdrive pulley, Super HD clutch.

Tassie Ti

« Reply #11 on: Oct 16, 2003, 01:01PM »
i have similar problems with my Ti, running a pod filter and zorst. it's always popping and I also get the occasional bigger backfire.  (this on a 10k old rebuilt engine  >:( )

originally thought it was the injectors, but had those fully cleaned and fixed about 2 weeks back and still getting the problem.  I've disconnected the battery overnight to try and reset the ECU and am yet to get a positive result.

anyone reckon it could be the fuel regulator malfunctioning??  could be pumpin shitloads of fuel in with each squirt.....

Tobes.

Offline Resin

• i have 5 studs
  • nsw local moderator
  • post whore
    • Gardening Forum
« Reply #12 on: Oct 16, 2003, 03:06PM »
hahaah this is funny .....mine a pinny Ti is also doing this .....bubbling as it goes down hills etc.....and yesterday i was idling and rev it and it backfired .........i will check the things u have told pinta Ti ....

thanks

Tassie Ti

« Reply #13 on: Oct 16, 2003, 07:42PM »
it is pretty funny, i'm just glad that others ka24's are doing the same thing and it's not just a problem with my car  ;D

Tobes.

Offline Pinsair

• ka24e owner
  • post whore
« Reply #14 on: Oct 16, 2003, 08:16PM »
yeh my car back fires aswell, haha bubbling down hills i love that sound ay... my mates say that sparks come out of my exhaust when it backfires aswell is that what always happens when a car back fires?

Offline MR.TRX

• MMMMMM..... TRX...!!!
    • Mr.TRX
« Reply #15 on: Oct 16, 2003, 09:55PM »
FUEL FILTER have you guys tried changing that
you havn't got your timing too far advanced ?
this might sound stupid but make sure that you do not have any
air pockets in your cooling system.
if you bleed your cooling system remember to turn the heater to hot.

cheers & good luck :)
I'M ONLY 2 PEOPLE SHORT OF A THREESOME!!!

Tassie Ti

« Reply #16 on: Oct 16, 2003, 10:13PM »
hehe, yeah.......if you drive a rotor  ;)

Tobes.

Tassie Ti

« Reply #17 on: Oct 17, 2003, 10:55PM »
hey, yeah i am going to change my fuel filter, doesn't really sound stupid at all.  could bge anything in the fuel system really.

i'm still running standard timing so thats def not the problem.  it's gonna be a matter of trying everyhting, spark plugs, fuel filter.  rechgeck timing etc...

Cheers though.

Toby.

bren79

« Reply #18 on: Oct 21, 2003, 12:14AM »
Hey everyone,

IM new to this forum. I have a 91 Pintara Ti and I have just had exactly the same problem with it. It was backfiring and blowing black stuff up the back of the car. It was also changing revs quite regularly. what you will find is that if you do a self diagnosis on the ECU it will come up with Code 13. Code 13 is your Coolant Temp Sensor.

Collant Temp sensor controls your fuel map which in turn controls idle, mixtures and various other critical operations in the fuel loop. These are replaceable and readily available from most Nissan dealers for around $95.

On another note, I also pulled my gold powerchip out which made a HUGE difference to fuel economy and the general running of the car.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #19 on: Oct 21, 2003, 01:03AM »
yeah a lot of people seem to be pulling out their powerchips.. i'll be pulling mine out in replacement for an aftermarket ecu.

Offline weasel

• nsw local moderator
  • post whore
  • ooooweeeooooo
« Reply #20 on: Oct 23, 2003, 12:56AM »
I think it may have something to do with the chip cause my car is doing theis too and it only started after i put the TeamNSE chip in (which is based on the silver powerchip)

i also have carbon deposits at the rear end of my car (but i also have a "modified" cat)

i cleaned my O2 sensor and still had no difference but it wasn't that dirty

and my revs alos vary i can be sitting there and it will idle fine about 750-800 Rpm or so then will drop to like 400 Rpm i've seen it get down to about 275 Rpm and my fuel economy has gone down but i still get around 500Km to the tank so it's not that bad

i just accepted all these as side effects of the chip

cheers >weasel<
"Noss is God"

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #21 on: Nov 7, 2003, 10:11AM »
I also got some backfiring/popping when letting off from highish rpm (from 4500-5000 or so) and i attributed it to advanced timing (20deg BTDC, stock is 15), exhaust/extractors and only running regular unleaded.
With the cam, same exhaust, same timing and running only PULP (mobil 8000) car doesn't pop/backfire like it used to coasting down from the aforementioned rpm's. Although i do have an intake manifold leak, but i don't think that changes much at that rpm range.

Offline FLOGTARA

• 300ZX FANATIC
  • post whore
  • Your mother's got a wooden leg with a kickstand!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 11, 2003, 03:36PM »
The backfiring isn't essentially a bad thing.  The main problem is from the richer fuel mixes from the chips.  take the chips out and the backfiring will decrease heaps.  Advance the timing and the backfiring should decrease.  I had heaps of backfire before advancing my timing, now that i have i hardly get any backfiring.  

If you get backfiring or missfiring when on the throttle theats when u ahve the problem...
1990 Z32 2 Seater N/A 5spd
Mods, modified cats, cat back exhaust, HKS air filter, cyn-r-g lightened flywheel, aluminium underdrive pulley, Super HD clutch.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #23 on: Nov 12, 2003, 08:57AM »
We are well aware how to test for faults in those sensors.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #24 on: Nov 12, 2003, 09:02AM »
i know why the backfiring/bogging down happens on a turbo car with a vent to atmophere bov sudesh. i suggested that it maybe be a problem for someone with a pod is because when the throttle closes the air will bounce off the closed throttle, possibly passing back past the maf, & confusing the ecu so to speak.

it was only a suggestion, not a hard & fast answer.

Offline I'm what Willis was talkin' 'bout

• Irish Correspondent
  • i will wear a bikini for food
  • post whore
« Reply #25 on: Nov 12, 2003, 09:30AM »
We know where teamnse is, no need for the constant reminders.
TeamManSnag

Homer!  What have you done to the car?  I don't think it had broken axles before.

Before!  Before!  You're living in the past, Marge.  Quit living in the past.

What, I never said I didn't like it asshat! :P

At least I don't think I did... but if I did, then I'm the asshat.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #26 on: Nov 12, 2003, 10:26AM »
what was the point with the change of your reply?

u12 2nr

« Reply #27 on: Nov 12, 2003, 10:30AM »
There is no point. I changed it because I didn't want to come off in a bad manner.  :) Is there a reason you must know?

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #28 on: Nov 12, 2003, 10:52AM »
no i dont have to know, i just didnt see the point in it.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #29 on: Nov 12, 2003, 10:37PM »
Whats not the point of the point if there is no point?
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline MR.TRX

• MMMMMM..... TRX...!!!
    • Mr.TRX
« Reply #30 on: Nov 12, 2003, 11:07PM »
anyway getting bak to the POINT kids is the vehicle still backfiring ?  ::)
I'M ONLY 2 PEOPLE SHORT OF A THREESOME!!!

89tipintara

« Reply #31 on: Nov 13, 2003, 01:28AM »
nice of you to ask mr.trx  ;D yeah i reckon i have a slight leak in the exhaust. getting it checked out and the ecu/chip soon.