Author Topic: What to do about my Gearbox?  (Read 2481 times)

Offline ashman01

• Thats Mr. Man01 to you.
  • post whore
  • Slowly getting there
What to do about my Gearbox?
« on: Jun 16, 2006, 12:01PM »
For those who know my gearbox has this problem:

http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php?topic=10882.0

Now i have been quoted $600 for a 2nd had box and i dont think that includes putting it in. I also have no idea what condition its in or how many kms its done

I rang a gearbox place today and they quoted me $375 to take my gearbox out and see whats wrong with it. They said it could be somthing as simple as putting new bearings in it and that wont cost me much at all but still $400 dollars + and its still the same gearbox.

They also said if i wanted it rebuilt it will cost $1100ish to rebuild it and it will be like new.

So my delima is what to do as i have no money and have only just finished paying off the $650 clutch job (Like thats gona help me now).

Here are my options:

Get the 2nd hand box for $600+ and put it in with no garantee that it will work. (even with month warenty that doesnt pay for the labour of putting it in)

Take it down to get it looked at and hopefully fixed for about $500 but if its 2 far gone then i have paid $375 for nothing.

Get it rebuilt for $1100ish and have it like new but if the box is 2 stuffed then i willl need a new 1 to have it rebuilt so i might be looking at $1100 + 600 for box.

Just wait for a cheap pintara to come up for sale with a manual gearbox and buy it for less than $1000 and get that gearbox swapped ova and just wreak it for parts.

Just search for a gearbox cheaper than $600

I dont no what to do as i have no money and cant help thinking the car isnt worth that much. I have a run around car soon and am on holidays so it doesnt have to be fixed for about 1 month.

What do u guys suggest.

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
Re: What to do about my Gearbox?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 16, 2006, 12:07PM »
Id ring a few more places. I know the gearbox shop i use in nerang does a free stip and quote (might be more if its on the car but i dont think so) and then you can go from there to find out what the problem is.

Nerang Differentials is the place. If you cant find there number ill dig it up and post it here.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline DeathPlaza

• antrx.com senior member
  • Stupid American
    • Ralphsquad
« Reply #2 on: Jun 16, 2006, 12:15PM »
hey i posted in your other thread, my opinion is that you get your shit rebuilt, i find it highly unlikely that it will be too f'd up to rebuild.  and unless you know what car a used tranny came out of, its really just luck of the draw.  i know it seems like a lot of money but, like you said in your first post, you want to keep the car, and you'd rather do it right the first time.  just start saving i would say.  and definately shop around, find a good deal, but dont cheap out and go to some fly-by-night operation.

also like i said, something seems fishy about your car working fine before you took it in to get the clutch replaced and all the sudden first gear is screwed.  which clutch did you get?  is it like a 6 puck disc or something crazy like that?  maybe your mechanic took it for a "spirited" drive and blew your first gear doing burnouts.  not likely but who knows.
I have a sunroof!

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #3 on: Jun 16, 2006, 12:32PM »
hey i posted in your other thread, my opinion is that you get your shit rebuilt, i find it highly unlikely that it will be too f'd up to rebuild.  and unless you know what car a used tranny came out of, its really just luck of the draw.  i know it seems like a lot of money but, like you said in your first post, you want to keep the car, and you'd rather do it right the first time.  just start saving i would say.  and definately shop around, find a good deal, but dont cheap out and go to some fly-by-night operation.

also like i said, something seems fishy about your car working fine before you took it in to get the clutch replaced and all the sudden first gear is screwed.  which clutch did you get?  is it like a 6 puck disc or something crazy like that?  maybe your mechanic took it for a "spirited" drive and blew your first gear doing burnouts.  not likely but who knows.

No idea what happend to my car. The Mechanic said it drove fine before i got in it. Also its just an exedy hd clutch. Nothing special altho it is a hd.

SO u recon a rebuild. I just dont think i have that much money to spend on it.

Also what is a rebuilt, what do they rebuilt?

Offline Xedus101

• antrx.com junkie
  • It's ATTESA time baby!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jun 16, 2006, 01:37PM »
If you can pull the gearbox out yourself and then take it in for them to have a look at, it might cut some costs. Also Check out the forsale section for wrecked members cars as (if you trust the member) they might have a gearbox and will be able to tell you the condition of it.

Offline TasPintara

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #5 on: Jun 16, 2006, 01:42PM »
Hey,

I also replied in your last post.

If you haven't got any money, do what i done, although i haven't got the best replacement gearbox, the bearings are a little noisy, but the whole new box installed cost me:

New Second Hand Box - $450
New Gearbox Oil - $60 (Castrol VMX80, 5 Litres)

Took me a day and a bit to replace the gearbox with the second hand one, but you could do it in a few hours - because io just had a cliucth replaced and it took around 3 hours and i drove away!

I suggest you just shop around, you can get warranty with some second hand gearboxs, mine has 3 months - better than nothing!!

Nick

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #6 on: Jun 16, 2006, 11:19PM »
Hey,

I also replied in your last post.

If you haven't got any money, do what i done, although i haven't got the best replacement gearbox, the bearings are a little noisy, but the whole new box installed cost me:

New Second Hand Box - $450
New Gearbox Oil - $60 (Castrol VMX80, 5 Litres)

Took me a day and a bit to replace the gearbox with the second hand one, but you could do it in a few hours - because io just had a cliucth replaced and it took around 3 hours and i drove away!

I suggest you just shop around, you can get warranty with some second hand gearboxs, mine has 3 months - better than nothing!!

Nick

Have shopped around. I rang 19 places and only 2 places had a gearbox. The quotes were 650 and 750$ and there is no idercation how many km they have on them or whether they even work.

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #7 on: Jun 16, 2006, 11:42PM »
Is their any chance you can get a warranty on a second hand gear box from a wrecker? If you can i would go that option mate.

Offline TasPintara

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #8 on: Jun 17, 2006, 10:23AM »
OH, if you have called 19 places and 2 have a gearbox for nothing under $650, then you are screwed!

One question - do these gearboxes have any warranty with them??  If it is going to cost you that much you might as well get one rebuilt for $1100 or whatever you said.......

Guess there is noone that really wants U12 Gearboxs in Tassie, that's why i got mine cheap! - Either that or it is a dud!  It is still going though!!

Nick

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #9 on: Jun 17, 2006, 11:43AM »
Got another quote from the guy who did kranzys gearbox. He said $800ish to get it fully rebuilt. So im thinking thats the best option. When u think about it 600$ for a gearbox and 200-300 putting it in its going to cost as much and the only warranty was 1 month.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #10 on: Jun 18, 2006, 11:13AM »
dont get a 2nd hand box, as deathplaza said, its luck of the draw. i bought one back in 2001.. cost me shiteloads, only for it to be reconditioned 2000km later.. most expensive 2nd hand box in history.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like