Author Topic: The best Engine Oil for CA20!  (Read 2926 times)

Offline aifte2000

• antrx.com junior member
  • new kid on the block
The best Engine Oil for CA20!
« on: May 6, 2006, 01:36PM »
What do the think the best Engine Oil for CA20 ? Mobil/Shell/Valvoline? synthetic/semi/mineral? thick/thin (what range of W)? Which one is the best for Engine and best for performance?

Offline emuisme

• antrx.com full member
  • Slack kid on the block
Re: The best Engine Oil for CA20!
« Reply #1 on: May 6, 2006, 04:50PM »
I don't think it's as easy as saying "the best"  it depends on what you want.  generally the thinner the oil the harder it goes, but you have shorter engine life and blow smoke if you go too far.

based on my (limited) experience, the shell high performance oils are OK for go, but I now run gtx magnetic, mainly because my car can sit for over a week without starting (sometimes as long as three weeks, bloody standby, bloody having to drive the 7.3 m long work van that has as much go as a ca20 running on two cylinders!  *&*&*&@#&@*!@).

I'm pretty sure that synthetics are better than mineral, but as I said, my experience is a (big) bit limited.
I spent my money on sothern comfort and speeding fines, the rest I wasted.

Born to drive, forced to work!

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #2 on: May 6, 2006, 06:27PM »
I'm interested on this topic too..

as im trying to save my engine rather than make it go harder on the street lol, that's why i used 25W, but meh i might change to something thinner for my next change.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline aifte2000

• antrx.com junior member
  • new kid on the block
« Reply #3 on: May 6, 2006, 06:57PM »
I read on an Engine web site that the majority of the Engine Damages caused over time is during the small period when you start the Engine (first 3/4 minutes). So thinner the oil, faster it reaches and lubricates the Engine and saves the damages. However, if the oil is very thin, it causes damage when the Engine is running hot for long on a hot day. 

So is it true as it has been mentioned that thinner oil results in harder go but shorter lifetime of Engine?

Offline Chadza

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • B4 what?
« Reply #4 on: May 6, 2006, 07:11PM »
don't put straight synthetic into your 16 year old ca20 that has been running on mineral oil for its whole life. It will screw it up. The best you can go for in terms of quality would be a good branded semi-synthetic.

Now, in terms of W number this is the oils viscocity when its cold and at operating temperature. The lower the number, the 'thinner' it is.

As with everything in life you get what you pay for, but it "is" only a ca20 and I assume you haven't worked it off its tits? In which case pretty much any brand oil of the right viscocity will do the job, as long as it is replaced at intervals no longer than 10,000km.

In terms of the different types-
a straight mineral oil will suffice for engines that aren't thrashed and/or highly strung/modified
a semi synthetic is good if you want an oil that can stand up to some abuse ie for track days or if you cain the crap out of your car on a daily basis.
synthetic is the best obviously, however I have been told that and engine wears into a certain grade of oil, and you shouldn't go straight to synthetic otherwise things will break. Dunno why, just what I have been told.

I used to have a good website about all things oil....but its lost. When I find it I'll post it up here as its got some great info on oil stuff.

EDIT HERE IT IS:
http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/engineoil_bible.html

I'd go more off of that website than what i have told you!!  :-X
« Last Edit: May 6, 2006, 07:18PM by ChadzaTRX »
First a Silver TRX, then a White TRX...whats next? Game Boy-Clear style TRX?

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: May 7, 2006, 01:14AM »
well thats why they say don't rev the shit out of your car when u start it up... and for that 3 second time until it goes in all cavities and shit (until oil light goes off) the car's fine at 1000rpm.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline Chadza

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • B4 what?
« Reply #6 on: May 7, 2006, 09:55PM »
if you like you engine...then you shouldn't rev the shit out of it until the oil is up to min. operating temp.  :P
First a Silver TRX, then a White TRX...whats next? Game Boy-Clear style TRX?

Offline Jecks

• antrx.com pit crew
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
    • antrx.com
« Reply #7 on: May 8, 2006, 11:58PM »
i use Shell Helix Plus 15W-50...
I'm sick of my knob going all floppy and loose in my hand  :P 
I've been on probation for 21 years, can't make a decision without consulting the wife first  ::)

Offline ashman01

• Thats Mr. Man01 to you.
  • post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #8 on: May 9, 2006, 08:33AM »
On this note, i was wondering what gearbox oil i should use in the TRX. My manual box is becoming harder to change (granted i have a short shifter) but i think its time for a change anyway. I was reading up on REDLINES MIRICAL OIL and alot of proformance nuts say its "The shit". Anyone eles have any thoughts?

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #9 on: May 9, 2006, 10:02AM »
never heard of it ashman, im using motul atm, its 5W-50

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #10 on: May 9, 2006, 10:29PM »
Ummm... I think Ash is talking about gearbox oil.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline ashman01

• Thats Mr. Man01 to you.
  • post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 12:14AM »
Ummm... I think Ash is talking about gearbox oil.

correct jono but as there are so many other threads about oil i didnt want to make my own