Author Topic: NEED HELP!!  (Read 1497 times)

89tipintara

NEED HELP!!
« on: Apr 19, 2004, 07:27PM »
ok i know this maybe should be in maintenance section but i really need some answers tonight. its about my rotors i just bought. Noss did reply and say the sss u12 bluebird rotors i bought would fit, and they did with regards to the stud pattern but they rest up against the stone guard. they are also alot thicker so can the gap between the brakes pads be adjusted by about 3-4mm? i am getting a guy to do it tomorrow and i dont want him to call me and try and charge me for more work when maybe he could put 3-4mm spacers over the wheel studs so the rotoe sits off the stone guard. then of course the caliper with need to be spaced out by that much as well. Does this seem viable or too much hassle? the only difference between my old, really thin and worn rotors and the u12 sss ones i bought is the thickness as i just said, that makes it touch the stone guard. i tried to fix it over the weekend but i couldnt adjust the brake pads....didnt know how. what you think? any help would be greatly appreciated, we are all here to help eachother. cheers in advance.

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
Re: NEED HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19, 2004, 08:01PM »
as far as the stone guard is concerned id just take the thing off! if you look at cars with brake conversions they dont have them. or you could just bend it back a bit enough.

with the brake pads, do you  just mean the disc doesnt fit between the pads in the caliper? if so take the pads out and the piston will either twist inwards back into the cylinder, or you can just push it back in by using a g clamp.... if its the back brakes they twist inwards, and i think the fronts just go straight in.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #2 on: Apr 19, 2004, 08:12PM »
buy yourself a brake spreader.. they're about $15 from repco or similar. you have to be really careful when pushing back the piston (therefore whys its best to use the correct tool) because if you damage the piston then you cant fix it, you will need to buy a replacement

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

89tipintara

« Reply #3 on: Apr 19, 2004, 09:39PM »
thanks guys. i think i will take the guard off. considering i am getting a pro to do it i wont buy a brake spreader. thank tas and noss for your replies. cheers.

89tipintara

« Reply #4 on: Apr 20, 2004, 09:26AM »
ok this is bullshit. the guy doing my car quoted me $110 bucks plus gst to fit the rotors.....he says....uummm man i have to take the wheels off and then the calipers, shit nothing less than 110 maybe more...actually no probably more. when i took them off and put the others on it took 15 minutes and thats with a manual jack and a farkin tyre wrench...i am gettign slightly ripped considering he didnt supply any parts....

Offline Tim-E

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • doof doof
« Reply #5 on: Apr 20, 2004, 12:23PM »
thats bullshit man but not surprising, bloody mechanics  :-\
2.0L 4 -------> 3.0L 6. Does this mean a 4.0L 8 next?? or back to a 2.0L......turbo!

89tipintara

« Reply #6 on: Apr 20, 2004, 01:28PM »
now its 269.50 because he wont do it if i dont change the brake pads. but he is letting me pay it off so haha some relief.

Offline JIMB0

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #7 on: Aug 27, 2004, 10:40PM »
The back pistions twist in. The front pistions push in. You can just undo the bleeder valve and push them in by hand. This way you can't really do any damage to them,  but you will need to bleed the brakes after.