Author Topic: Please Help: My Car is EATTING Petrol!  (Read 6275 times)

Offline ashman01

• Thats Mr. Man01 to you.
  • post whore
  • Slowly getting there
Please Help: My Car is EATTING Petrol!
« on: Jul 13, 2005, 09:52PM »
I got my trx last week and have been driving it alot. Ive done around 650km since friday.

I have realised that i have spent ova $140 in petrol (premium at about 1$ a litre) But thats a shit load of fuel. I am guilty of the odd 4500revs gear change but im not driving it hard and it still is costing me heeps. I did search but found nothing.

What should be done about this because fuel is 2 expensive to use that much.

I havent changed the fuel filter but was thinking this might be the problem and i dont have money to waste on stuff that doesnt need doing.

Any suggestions? And if it is the fuel filter could some1 quickly tell us how to change it and where it is in a 91 TRX.

Thanx ashman01

Offline Pringles

• antrx.com baked not fried
  • post whore
  • ;-) check me out !
Re: Please Help: My Car is EATTING Petrol!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13, 2005, 10:39PM »
so are you saying that in the 650km you have driven you have used 140 litres of fuel, ie 2.3tanks of fuel?

if so there is a very serous problem, try doing a full tune and service, ie. plugs, leads, timing, filter, etc etc
Check out the Brown Couch !
the ole Nissan caught a cold... puachtuuu..!
i lost a testicle while shaving my scrotum
Jono wasn't here!

Offline Xnissman

• qld local moderator
  • post whore
  • Speed Thrills - Stupidity Kills
« Reply #2 on: Jul 13, 2005, 11:48PM »
fuel filter is on the passenger side on the firewall. check & make sure you haven't got any fuel leaks.
I couldn't smell any fuel the other day though :-\
Take it to the limit - take it to the track.
speed safe; club level motorsport.
Life is like a box of chocolates.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 14, 2005, 01:20AM »
Is the AFM on the KA's a hotwire type AFM? If it is, spray some carby cleaner on the hotwire element to clean it.

I did it to my CA20 and the fuel consumption went to 3/4 of what it was.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #4 on: Jul 14, 2005, 08:30AM »
Is the AFM on the KA's a hotwire type AFM? If it is, spray some carby cleaner on the hotwire element to clean it.

I did it to my CA20 and the fuel consumption went to 3/4 of what it was.

Please explain, Im still new to mechanics and new to this car. So explain it to me like u would a kid.

And at Pringles, yes and probably more petrol has been bought. I have put 2 lots of 40$ in, 3 lots of 20, and 3 lots of 10, so more like 200 in fuel!

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: Jul 14, 2005, 08:55AM »
I suggest you read this article for starters: http://www.antrx.com/tech/article.php?t=6231&a=%20noss

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
« Reply #6 on: Jul 14, 2005, 02:21PM »
If there's a leak on that intake pipe near the firewall it REEKS. You wouldn't think you could smell it in the car but day-um!

Happened to me twice. Once it went, then the RAA replaced it with low pressure carby fuel pipe without telling me that that stuff is only meant to last about a week in an EFi car. 9 months later I was left stranded at a cinema becuase it broke and wouldn't push any pressure past the filter :(

As pringles said, try doing a service and make sure you check all of your sensors connections to make sure they have good continuity.
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #7 on: Jul 14, 2005, 05:56PM »
just did what noss said to do in that artical, but i dont think it helped Where are the scencers? theres 1 on the air filter, 1 just behind it on top. is there any others?

And i went back to stock air filter aswell

Offline STU84W

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sifu
« Reply #8 on: Jul 14, 2005, 07:11PM »
hey ash, its really weird, but i just bought my trx too and its chewing through the petrol as well... i filled it full up, i'm down to just over half and i've only done under 140km... let us know when you make any progress, cos at this rate, i'll be broke in a week if i drive to uni...
Project Siltara has been chipped, nismofied and getting exhausted

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #9 on: Jul 14, 2005, 09:24PM »
Yeah its the fucking same with me. Its really getting to me now and its getting to the point where i dont want to drive it.

I have really money issues cuz im working less at job, more at school and i dont own my car yet.

I have red a few of the tech shit and have come up with a number of things that could be wrong. 1 f*cking sencers, ive kleen'd them tonight and will see if this fix's something. 2. ECM problems - this was occuring b4 i bought the car and now is my problem to fix. I will have to do this tomorrow some time.

But if this continues i will most likly loose my TRX cuz i cant have it like this.

Offline STU84W

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sifu
« Reply #10 on: Jul 14, 2005, 09:37PM »
is the ECM affected by the stage 2 chip?  i'm planning on buying japcrp's stage 2 chip anyway, but who knows... maybe it'll help

i'll clean the sensors tomorrow, but i guess i won't really know whether its working till i fill up again.  i got my g/f's dad, who's a former mechanic, but he couldn't really shed much light either... i mite take it to another mate who's a practicing mechanic, see wat he reckons..

i'll let you know if i discover anything 

Offline Sheldon

• antrx.com junkie
  • The Beasty Beast
« Reply #11 on: Jul 14, 2005, 09:52PM »
check the 2 hoses at the back by the tank and tighten them up and then go to your fuel filter and tighten up the hoses and also push them as close up to the filter as they can go
If only the KA24E was KA24ET!!

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #12 on: Jul 14, 2005, 10:00PM »
im quite sure its NOT a petrol leak. If it was i would smell and see petrol in the engine bay. all the hoses look new. Oh and come to think about it. THey look huge for fuel hoses. Can some1 tell me if this is normal?

Offline Chadza

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • B4 what?
« Reply #13 on: Jul 14, 2005, 11:38PM »
Checked your air filter? Checked exhaust for any blockages, check brake pads to see if they are sticking......

Chad
First a Silver TRX, then a White TRX...whats next? Game Boy-Clear style TRX?

Offline STU84W

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sifu
« Reply #14 on: Jul 15, 2005, 12:25AM »
going to check all these first thing tomorrow morning...!

is it concievable that something like the air filter or air sensor could be causing such massive losses tho?  in my case, half a tank has only gotten me 150km, which means something ridiculous like 5km to the litre...

also, how do i check the exhaust for blockages?  would i have to take the exhaust out?

Offline STU84W

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sifu
« Reply #15 on: Jul 15, 2005, 01:26AM »
after reading the topic about fuel consumption, the majority seems to have either "good" consumption (around 10k per litre) or crappy consumption (5-6km per litre)

gotta work out the common factors in TRX's, something must have died in the crappy ones to make them go like they do 

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #16 on: Jul 15, 2005, 01:37AM »
Is there any sign of soot on the rear bumper around the exhaust?

PinTRX:
Have you actually used a full tank of fuel yet? - it could be that your gauge isnt very accurate (common) and there might be more fuel in the tank than you think.  Next time you get fuel, put in as much as the bowser will let you and see how many litres it is, then you'll know how much was left in the tank (remember that not all of the fuel in the tank is "usable")

Offline STU84W

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sifu
« Reply #17 on: Jul 15, 2005, 01:49AM »
true, i haven't used a full tank yet, but i've noticed i've been a little paranoid about things lately... i've only had the car for two days, so i really need to work it in first (it was off the road for a while)

i'll see how the 2nd half of the tank goes...

and yeah, little bit of soot on the exhaust, not so much on the bumper, but that could have been because i took it through a carwash..

wat does the soot signify?

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #18 on: Jul 15, 2005, 03:16AM »
Soot on the bumpers means it's running REALLY rich (way too much fuel mixed with the air to run efficiently).

To clean the AFM, pop the top half of the airbox open, look into the big pipe that goes to the engine and spray the carby/contact cleaner down that big tube. You should be able to see a wire about the thickness of a hair stretched around a frame in the pipe. That's the hotwire part of the AFM.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #19 on: Jul 15, 2005, 10:40AM »
Yeah i have cleaned that.

I havent checked the ECM yet but im possitive there it is a problem with it. It flashes when i have less than 1/4 of a tank of petrol! And it doesnt flash unless i touch the accelerator. So it flashes when i put my foot down. I plan to run a diagnostic on the car today and find out which sencer is setting it off.

The car was doing this when i bought it, i asked her why and her response was that it always did that and that it is a wiring problem that would cost alot for the mechanic to fx which isnt worth it. Which i think is bullshit.

Offline ffourc

• antrx.com senior member
  • old man off the block
« Reply #20 on: Jul 15, 2005, 01:53PM »
if you ecm light is flashing (not in diagnostic mode) - you DO have a problem

at least it is easier to find, when the computer tells you what the problem is - but you really should have a book, even a gregory's from the library is better than nothing.

and do a bunch of searches - there is a lot of info here, takes a lot of reading etc., but it will all help with your understanding of how the car works and what to do.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #21 on: Jul 15, 2005, 02:26PM »
It sounds to me like the throttle position sensor, low fuel pressure or the air flow meter. Make sure the diagnostic plug near the ECU isn't bridged.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #22 on: Jul 15, 2005, 11:11PM »
It sounds to me like the throttle position sensor, low fuel pressure or the air flow meter. Make sure the diagnostic plug near the ECU isn't bridged.

How? Remember i am an idiot. Well not an idiot but some1 who knows very little about cars. So if there is somthing that i could check then please explain.

Oh i took out the ECM and did a check and got 55 nothing wrong. but the ecm lite wasnt flashing and hadnt flashed for a while so i filled it up 10$ and will wait till it starts flashing again b4 i do another1 to find out what is wrong.

Also i have a cracked head gasket, which is getting fixed wed, could that have anything to do with it?

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #23 on: Jul 16, 2005, 11:40PM »
hey i was reading a shitload into this problem and have come to the conclusion that the car is running rich. And that the reason is that the exhust senser is faulty or is not working properly and i was wondering if any1 could tell me where this is and what i have to do to clean it. i have the crc cleaner stuff but i cant find the senser. where is it?

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #24 on: Jul 17, 2005, 02:14AM »
I don't believe you can clean the EGO sensor. It's on the exhaust manifold between the engine and the radiator and has one wire running to it.

The ECM should have recorded at least one fault if the ECM light on the dash was flashing.  ???
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline STU84W

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sifu
« Reply #25 on: Jul 17, 2005, 10:08AM »
i tried doing the carby cleaner down the pipe thing, but i stopped because the pipe actually started to fill up with the liquid... i imagine this is bad, so i'm not sure how to make it not do that...

i think i'm coming close to filling up, so i'll work out wat my consumption is like...

is it possible to replace the exhaust sensor?

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #26 on: Jul 17, 2005, 06:01PM »
Just did a diagnostic test 2 on my ECU and the light like flashed 15 times for some reason. I will try to get it on tape so some1 eles can help!

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #27 on: Jul 18, 2005, 12:28AM »
The sensors are pretty easy to replace. Just unplug, unscrew it from the manifold and screw the new one in.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline STU84W

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sifu
« Reply #28 on: Jul 18, 2005, 11:09AM »
cool... now my only problem is... where is it located?

such a noob... :-[

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #29 on: Jul 18, 2005, 04:30PM »
Check out this pic:
http://jonos4.tripod.com/bay2.jpg
The sensor should be under the green-outlined cover. It's a metal cylinder about 50mm long sticking out of the side of the exhaust manifold (big rusty thing).

edit: You'll have to copy and paste the link into your browser because Tripod doesn't like people linking to their pages.
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2005, 03:53AM by Jono »
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline STU84W

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sifu
« Reply #30 on: Jul 18, 2005, 05:57PM »
sorry mate, the pic didn't work, but i'm pretty sure i located it in my own engine bay..

just to clarify, this is the exhaust sensor, yeah?

can you tell me how i can get to my water temp sensor and the o2 sensor as well? 

cheers, such a huge help

Offline Chadza

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • B4 what?
« Reply #31 on: Jul 18, 2005, 07:14PM »
exhaust sensor is stuffed into the manifold...its the only thing with a wire hanging out of it that is in the exhaust region. Other sensors are on the inlet manifold, ie cooland temp sensor etc....
First a Silver TRX, then a White TRX...whats next? Game Boy-Clear style TRX?

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #32 on: Jul 18, 2005, 08:58PM »
My car has extractors i think, cuz my exhust manifold looks nothing like that. So should i just look for a wire?

Oh and by the way i smelt petrol inside my car 3 times today, i checked under the car quickly and the hoses quickly and couldnt see any leaks. What should i do?

Offline Xnissman

• qld local moderator
  • post whore
  • Speed Thrills - Stupidity Kills
« Reply #33 on: Jul 18, 2005, 09:50PM »
i'm thinking you may have a split fuel line. you really need to have a real good look at them all.
Take it to the limit - take it to the track.
speed safe; club level motorsport.
Life is like a box of chocolates.

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #34 on: Jul 18, 2005, 11:14PM »
getting the car fixed and looked at on wednesday by the machanic then getting it road worthy and finaly it will be 100% mine!

Offline STU84W

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sifu
« Reply #35 on: Jul 18, 2005, 11:43PM »
let us know what the mechanic reckons... maybe i'll be able to fix the same thing.

i'm getting a mate to check everything out on wednesday as well, but the official consumption is in, and i'm running about 5km per litre, which is too expensive for me to run.

as a process of deduction, i've replaced the air filter and sparkies, so the sensors are next.
« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2005, 11:53PM by PinTRX »

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #36 on: Jul 19, 2005, 08:15AM »
did the same thing and im probably runing about the same per litre.

Will tell you what is wrong

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #37 on: Jul 20, 2005, 03:56AM »
Edited my post with the picture. Here's another pic of an exhaust/EGO (Exhaust Gas Oxygen)/O2 sensor:

Pintara ones have one wire and a different plug, but you get the basic idea. The black end is screwed into the exhaust manifold, and you should be able to see the silver end.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #38 on: Jul 20, 2005, 06:02PM »
I tihnk my mechanic just fixed the problem.

I dont no for sure but im 90% sure that it has been fixed

It was the air to fuel ratio thingy on the back of the ECCS It was loose and not set properly coarsing the fuel to be major rich.

Told my mechanic that i could smell fuel in the car and that i was eatting petrol and he looked at it, ajusted it for 15mins and said try that and it seems to be fixed.

Just take it to a mechanic and ask them if this is the case. My mechanic didnt charge me either so it was a cheap fix!
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2005, 07:52PM by ashman01 »

Offline STU84W

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sifu
« Reply #39 on: Jul 20, 2005, 07:47PM »
awesome, something to look for...

excellent!

Offline SMI7HY

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #40 on: Aug 14, 2005, 02:09AM »
i had the same problem i was getting around 250-300kms per tank. Just did a full service/tune up and changed plugs & leads. Since then Ive used 1/2 a tank and done very close to 300km'sĀ  ;D saving so much money.

Offline adamm

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
  • dont noe what to say???
« Reply #41 on: Sep 5, 2005, 04:01PM »
hey man i had a hole in my manifold in my trx and a full tank would get me just over 300 k's....... if your exhaust sounds deep and u have all stock exhaust and extractors etc it could be a leak there..... i had a hole in my manifold and due to that that causes loss of power and drinks more fuel so just ask mechanic to put in on the hoist.....it will take 5 mins they will do it 4 for u... don't hurt to try anyways good luck with it!

EDITED FOR SPELLING ( ::)) - SSS
« Last Edit: Sep 5, 2005, 04:42PM by SSS »
;)