Author Topic: Black smoke, no power!!  (Read 1621 times)

89tipintara

Black smoke, no power!!
« on: May 22, 2004, 11:06PM »
This sucks. last week i replsced my spark plugs, one cracked. Anyway when i was driving it around with one cracked one (unknown at the time) it had no power and was shooting black smoke. Anyway today it did the same so i replaced the sparkies again. it did do shit. about ten minutes before this happened i had topped my oil up with a bit of castrol gtx3.....anyway so i have a car that feels like it is driving on 2 cylinders and and shooting black smoke...whats going on here? any help would be greatly appreciated as i need the car desparately this week. cheers.

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
Re: Black smoke, no power!!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2004, 07:29PM »
balck smoke means it running rich, maybe u havnt attached ur leads correctly or in the right order,or a injector is shot.

mine used to pump out black smoke, and i found out it was a dead injector (leaving pools of fuel below the injector  :o , so maybe just have a look, give em a giggle or take it to a mechanic

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2004, 09:10PM »
apart from what stick_b said....:

have you checked your distributor cap and rotor button?  and how old are your leads?

Offline Insu

• closet noss lover
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
  • Its time to laugh again!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2004, 09:23PM »
I was thinking distributor cap and button also..
Previously known as Audio Muncher

89tipintara

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2004, 10:39PM »
ok i found the prob. one of the leads came loose from the holder thing and went onto my extractors, burnt a whole straight through it. replaced it...all good. cheers guys.

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 12:03PM »
when you took your spark plugs out did you notice that they were also black? I had this happen to me as well - it turned out that I had bumped a sensor when I cleaned my filter 2 days before and it wasn't working. I simply jiggled the connected and the problem was fixed.
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

89tipintara

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2004, 01:54PM »
yeah rich, the plug was black. i replaced it an all is good.