Author Topic: Noise from wheel  (Read 2306 times)

89tipintara

Noise from wheel
« on: Mar 31, 2004, 01:27PM »
ok i am having trouble with this one. it started ever since i drove through a puddle of mud some 3 weeks ago. when i drive straight the noise is very faint, but when i turn to the right, on noise from my right front wheel is terrible. then also if i apply the brakes i get a little relief from this noise. i have tried blasting shit out of it with a water blaster thingy but the noise is still there. do u maybe think i have dirt in my power steering valve or brakes somewhere. if i turn the car to the left the nose goes awat too. please help i need my car to be quiet again.

89tipintara

Re: Noise from wheel
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2004, 01:42PM »
mmmm maybe power steering. hey where do you fill up the power steering fluid? i think i may be loosing fluid..but unsure if it is actually the power steering resevoir. cheers for your help in advance.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2004, 01:46PM »
power steering fluid is on the drivers side near the strut tower somewhere, unfortunately i dont have a photographic memory :P

its a little green metal can type thing with a black plastic lid.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline aussie-gli

• post whore
  • CA20E GLi (1998 -> 2008) U12 TRX (2020 -> ...)
« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2004, 05:07PM »
Could just be the dust/splash cover behind the disk, could've warped a bit when the water hit it, Just poke/push it away from the disk with a screwdriver and if that's the prob, it'll fix it...  Had that happen a while ago.  It rubs against the disk & makes a terrible sound...
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2004, 05:13PM by aussie-gli »
Lisa: Dad, we did something very bad! Homer: Did you wreck the car? Bart: No. Homer: Did you raise the dead? Lisa: Yes. Homer: But the car's okay? Bart & Lisa: Uh-huh. Homer: All right then.

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
« Reply #4 on: Apr 1, 2004, 02:04PM »
yeah when I had my bearings done I had the same problem. Just lever it away with a screwdriver and this fixes the problem.

Other causes could include a warped brake rotor
-glazed brake pads (take them out and sand the top off of them)
-hub thread cover & lock pin moving around too freely
-worn CV joints
-worn front wheel bearings
-possibly worn suspension components.

Check your tyres for uneven wear at the front too. You might need an alignment.
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

89tipintara

« Reply #5 on: Apr 1, 2004, 07:29PM »
thanks for you replies fellas. i will see to it on the weekend and post up the problem. good to keep the knowledge bank here on antrx going... ;)

Offline LoW GLi

• antrx.com junkie
  • Dble Up!! 2.0L 4 Cyl (Pinnie)... 4.0L V8 (180sx)
« Reply #6 on: Apr 1, 2004, 09:58PM »
i dunno wat the noise sounds like, but if u went thru mud u could of gotten a few lil rocks or sumthign stuck in there, ive got that prob at the mo, a rock can get stuck betweetn the disc, and disc guard, and make a rattling sorta noise. the only way to get it is let it grind itself up, or try bending the guard out...

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
« Reply #7 on: Apr 3, 2004, 01:33AM »
I had a rock stuck between the rotor and the dust cover and it made a hell of a noise until I got it out of there. It was nice and shiny on one side... kinda funny really but I shudder to think of what it did to my disc :(
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

Offline Marty

• west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • *no car :(*
« Reply #8 on: Apr 3, 2004, 01:49AM »
oh yeh and try to get it fixed asap, i just got back from the forest rally  with an unusual noise coming from the front left wheel, anyway when i'd drivin about 400 k's it shat itself and i couldnt control my car and was making a really loud noise, i tryed to limp home about 100 k's then had to gett towed for 40 k's as it was just to dangerous to drive, anyway i think its either the bearings or CV, grr and by just doing a search for bearings it seems expensive :(
Wanneroo (Barbagallos) short track time 63 seconds (58 - Evo) long track 79 (69 - Evo)
Mods - Bosch 910 fuel pump, Nismo 555cc injectors, Z32 AFM, USB Bikirom, Full Whiteline Handling Kit, DBA Rotors, Tomei Poncams + GT2871. (174ahkw)

89tipintara

« Reply #9 on: Apr 3, 2004, 01:44PM »
well ok here is the prob:

Obviously my wheel alignment is slightly out cause my front right tyre is wearing slightly on this inside. Any way my bloody rotors are buckled. when they go through the pads it sqeeks obviously cause the rotor is not running in a straight line. so now i need wheel alignment and new rotors and pads i'd say. i cant get a hold of anyone to get an approx price on two front rotors...anyone got any idea. I am not interested in getting drilled and slotted stuff, just something to keep me going. approx prices would br appreciated. cheers.

Offline Resin

• i have 5 studs
  • nsw local moderator
  • post whore
    • Gardening Forum
« Reply #10 on: Apr 3, 2004, 03:50PM »
antrx sells ems ...

check the for sale section under antrx shop......they have slotted and drilled and slotted ......
good price aswell

89tipintara

« Reply #11 on: Apr 3, 2004, 05:41PM »
nah man i said i wasnt that keen on slotted and drilled. what i am going to do is get secondhand rotors for $30 each and get them machined. all up should cost me 100 dollars and a few hours of my time. i am selling my car soon so all i need is for it to be reliable and safe. cheers mate.

Offline aussie-gli

• post whore
« Reply #12 on: Apr 3, 2004, 09:47PM »
Pull them out and take them down to be machined... It's about $30 a wheel, they'll tell u if they're too worn to machine...
Lisa: Dad, we did something very bad! Homer: Did you wreck the car? Bart: No. Homer: Did you raise the dead? Lisa: Yes. Homer: But the car's okay? Bart & Lisa: Uh-huh. Homer: All right then.

Offline aussie-gli

• post whore
« Reply #13 on: Apr 3, 2004, 09:47PM »
second hand rotors are more than likely to be warped anyways.

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #14 on: Apr 4, 2004, 08:55AM »
Pull them out and take them down to be machined... It's about $30 a wheel, they'll tell u if they're too worn to machine...

i wouldnt pay more than $20 a disc.  measure the thickness of the disc before taking it to them and see if its got enough so that it can be machined, to save you from stuffing around. ( the minimum thickness of the front discs is 20mm and the back discs is 8mm)