Author Topic: My turbo has seized :(  (Read 2581 times)

Offline beejay85

• antrx.com junior member
My turbo has seized :(
« on: Jan 15, 2009, 11:23PM »
Hi guys

As you can prolly tell from the topic title my turbo on my u13 has seized (as in the wheel no longer turns). I am about to remove the turbo and try to find out what caused it to seize up. Only thing is I'm not really 100% sure about what to look for, and for that matter not too sure on what causes a turbo to seize up. As far as i can tell the turbo is relatively old. I don't think its ever been changed (240k?? I find this hard to believe but the previous owner hadn't changed it while he had it so unsure). How will i know what has caused it to seize? Will there be any really obvious tell tale signs or what? I don't really want to go out and buy a new turbo if the same thing is going to happen, so i want to try and find out what caused it in the first place.

Any help on this would be muchly appreciated.

Also...how hard is it to remove the turbo? I assume I will need to remove the radiator, but apart from that it looks pretty straight forward, or am i missing something  ???

Thanks Again

Offline Jason

• U12/13 mixer
  • antrx.com senior member
Re: My turbo has seized :(
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2009, 07:24AM »
240k ks is a lot if the oil hasn't been changed regularly. Id probly make sure that the oil delivery line isnt blocked when you put the new one on. To remove it, pull out the radiator and fans, suction and lower intercooler pipes, unbolt the exhaust from the dump pipe, water lines and oil lines from the block. Unbolt the exhaust manifold from the head and take out the manifold, turbo and dump pipe together then once its off seperate them.