Author Topic: U13 SSS, stock amp question  (Read 2308 times)

Offline csimpson

• antrx.com junior member
U13 SSS, stock amp question
« on: Jul 17, 2007, 06:17PM »
I've got an SSS with the 'premium' sound system, meaning it has two 2x40w amps hanging underneath the parcel shelf. The one of them which is powering my rear speakers has decided to die. Sort of.

It seems to ground via its casing, to the brackets that hold it. Upon plugging it in and holding it to one of the brackets, there's a small spark from casing to bracket, then it starts playing for ~10 seconds before it dies.

Anyone got any clues? Or failing that, does anyone in Sydney know of any wreckers in Sydney I could get the amp for cheap, or have one they'd like to offload themselves? :)

Offline slim

• post whore
  • Nissan Bluebird SSS 1996 ®
    • Pictures
Re: U13 SSS, stock amp question
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2007, 09:53PM »
I have the stock amps mounted up and arent being used as a new amp is installed.
Was advised from the previous owner that the amp and speakers werent sounding as good when car was new, hence upgrade.

Anyway if you cant find a set im in Perth, WA so postage is gonna cost you + plus name a price and ill think about it.
But ild recommend a new amp
  • Bosch HID Kit, Clear Side & Front Indicators + Bulbs
  • B&M Shortshifter
  • JVC DVD Touchscreen 5.1 Surround Sound
  • Full Whiteline Kit
  • Tokico Shocks
¤ slim's 1996 SSS Bluebird Project Thread

Offline csimpson

« Reply #2 on: Jul 18, 2007, 07:46PM »
Went and got a new rear amp for $10 from Pick and Payless this afternoon - everything works fine now :)

Offline csimpson

« Reply #3 on: Oct 3, 2007, 07:28PM »
Does anyone know if the power to the stock amps is turned on/off by the ignition (accessories, on), or some way through the headunit? I'm trying to use the stock amps with a car PC, and I need to work out if they turn on with the car, or through the headunit.

Offline Ka-Bluey

• antrx.com's
  • post whore
  • The MtData Guy
« Reply #4 on: Oct 3, 2007, 08:31PM »
I'd imagine they would probably turn on with the stereo. Easiest way is, get a multimeter and prod around, see where you can find 12v, and then try it again with stereo off and acc on, that way you will know whether its thru stereo or acc.

Otherwise wait until someone has already done it to tell ya..

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 3, 2007, 08:46PM »
Yeah with the stereo.

If you still have the factory plugs behind the head unit, the turn on wire is in the rear speaker plug (the one with 6 terminals). Looking into the plug with the clip at the top, it's the top right wire. Connect it to 12v, and give the amps an input through the other 4 wires in the plug and you should hear it through your back speakers.

http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/Nissan-Wiring.pdf
it's the top one ;)
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!